IP Scheme Planning

We are buying an existing WISP and we are going to have to re do all the IP’s on there network and re route the links so now would be a good time as any to make the network right. We are a Dialup provider and I have an ATM Network that has connections in 13 cities, just so happens to be the cities that this WISP is in, so instead of using wireless shots we are going to deploy the WISP as a Last Mile technology in each of our cities. I guess I have a couple of options to begin with

1) I can route Private IP addresses from my NOC router to our cities and RUN all the NAT from my NOC router.

2) I can create smaller networks at my WAN Locations with Private IP addresses and run NAT at each WAN router.

What would you guys recommend 1 or 2, or something compeletely different? I can see a problem with the second is that I couldn’t get to my equipment from my NOC unless I had a server in place at each WAN location and bounced off of it to get to my equipment.

My Idea of a typical Canopy network I see the following:

BackHauls 10.0.1.0
Access Points 10.0.5.0
SM’s 10.0.10.0

The second OCTET could represent the city???
10.1.1.0 Back Hauls City A
10.2.1.0 Back Hauls City B

10.1.5.0 Access Points City A
10.2.5.0 Access Points City B

10.1.10.0 SM’s City A
10.2.10.0 SM’s City B

I want to provide my customers private STATIC IP’s so I can manage them and shape them better, if they want a public IP I would do a 1-1 static NAT. The question I have is what IP Scheme would I use or would you recommend? I am open for suggestions and I just want to make sure that I do this right the first time?

Kris McElroy

We are currently granting public IP addresses via reservations in a DHCP at the edge of our distribution network (different block in each distribution network, multiple distribution networks linked via a backbone that will soon provide multi-homed Internet access for the distribution networks).

All network gear is in the private IP range:
10.0.tower.1 to 6 for LOS
10.0.tower.90 for NLOS omni / 10.0.tower.91 to 96 for NLOS sector
10.0.tower.10+ for local equipment (20=router, 21=switch, 22=DHCP, etc)
10.0.tower.101 to 200 for customer SM
10.0.tower.201 for BH feed
10.0.tower202+ for outbound BH feeds