Is it Possible to Schedule a Configuration Change?

Hello,

I am using (On-Premise) v2.2.1-r32 and I am trying to set up a scheduled change to a device(s) by applying a Template.

I am aware that I can schedule Software Updates, which is a great feature, but I cannot seem to figure out how to do the same for Configurations.

It seems as though the only options you have in terms of configuration changes, is with the check box "Start Now".  If I opt not to Start Now, the job sits in the Jobs section, under Configuration Update, waiting for me to manually start it.  And obviously, If I select Start Now, the configuration template is immediately applied and the Access-point reboots.

Ideally, I'd like to make some changes, like Auto-Contention Slots, Range, and Downlink Data, for many devices at once.  It would also be preferable if I could set this up to occur at 3am, when I'm tucked in my bed and dreaming of a Unicorn that is a 2.4Ghz PMP450m. Like I said, dreaming...

Anyways, this seems like such a simple thing that I should definitely be capable of, so I'd be surprised if Cambium would have left this feature out.  Can anyone clear up what I may be doing incorrectly, or whether or not it's possible?

Thanks in advance.

- Neil

1 Like

Hi Neil,

Thanks for providing the feedback. Currently we do not support the scheduled configuration update feature. We will incorporate this in our future releases . 

Thanks,

KR.

1 Like

I would also really like to see this feature! It is a bit cumbersome that a simple SNMP>Site Name change on an AP requires a reboot... If it must be so, I'd also like it to occur at 2-3am! Thanks for your consideration

KR - any status on a scheduled configuration update feature? Whether through maestro, or the radio GUI, either would be extremely helpful...

I have a major overhaul of SNMP: Site Name changes to make to 150+ AP's, and unfortunately a reboot is required...

If a scheduled configuration update feature is not on the roadmap, I would like to make a feature request that a simple site information changes no longer require a reboot. Thanks

Hi ,

Scheduled Configuration is part of road map and planned by Q2-2020 as part of cnMaestro 3.0 release

Thanks,

KR.

1 Like

@kung foo jezus wrote:

I have a major overhaul of SNMP: Site Name changes to make to 150+ AP's, and unfortunately a reboot is required...

If a scheduled configuration update feature is not on the roadmap, I would like to make a feature request that a simple site information changes no longer require a reboot. Thanks

I recommend making posts on the Ideas page for each product line you're seeing this with.  Devices decide if they require a reboot when they recieve a configuration update from cnMaestro.

https://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/Your-Ideas/idb-p/Ideas

Just curious, are we ever going to see this? I’ve been asking since 2017. Seems like if the scheduler is already built in cnMastro for firmware it shouldn’t be that hard to add configuration schedules.

Hi Brian,

Scheduled Configuration updates are now available as of release 3.0.0. In the container level (System, Network, Tower, Site) Configuration tab there is a selection under the device table to update Now or Schedule an update.

1 Like

Hi Jordan.

So released to the paid version only. Nice.

Scheduled tasks are available under cnMaestro Essentials (the free version).

2 Likes

So… I guess I’m going off the fact that does not show up on our essentials cloud instance, which shows it’s running 6.0.2-r26. And then when you read the article Jordan shared, it only mentions scheduling under the Maestro X. But I sure don’t see an update now or schedule button here, like what does show up on the Firmware tab.

Sounds like maybe I need to open a ticket with Cambium.

To find your version of cnMaestro, just scroll to bottom of the page:

What does yours say?

The scheduling option is available at the container level, not the device level. We may need to change this to allow scheduling in both places.

That forum post lists all the major new features added in 3.0.0 for both Essentials and X. This section lists the features that are only included in cnMaestro X. The forum formatting of section titles doesn’t make this very clear.

Edit: I should note the exact containers that support the configuration view are System, Network, Tower and AP Group.

1 Like

Here’s is cnMaestro essentials with config scheduling:

2 Likes

Thanks Jordan, that definitely explains why I don’t have it at the device level. I only checked the AP and Subscriber. Since I’d guess 98% of the configuration changes would be at the AP (not group) or SM it would be great if we could get it all the way down to the device.

You can get all the way down to the device. You can use this to schedule an update for as many or few devices as you need to apply a config to.

1 Like

Thanks Eric. When I was looking earlier I could not select a customer. But the formatting was all weird, I could check the AP but then the customers underneath were indented weird with a few random characters in-front of each subscriber name. So your message made me think to clear my browser cache. Now I finally have check boxes.

1 Like

Glad you were able go get it working. I’ve also opened a improvement ticket to add scheduling options at the device level to avoid these frustrations in the future.