is 'the dude' the best network monitor application?

is ‘the dude’ the best network monitor application out there? i really like how the interface of it is, and how easy it is to use, well once it is set up.

what else is out there that is comparable? anyone use something they think is better?

a lot of people use either PRTG or Cacti for NMS software. But personally I like the the dude just because of the ease of setup and the interface is so friendly. and plus it is not proprietary to mikrotik. will monitor any device as long as you have the mibs for it. we’ve been running the dude for 2 years now and have only had it lock up once. virutally no bugs that i’ve ever run into.

Ipswitch’s WhatsUpGold is a nice application. Easy to implement and great support. Can be a bit pricey though!

Running WhatsUpGold for monitoring and paging and Cacti for graphing.

which version of whatsupgold do you recommend for a wisp

good thing about the dude is it does what whatsupgold and cacti do for free. monitoring, graphing, paging, e-mail, text messages, etc.

I use and do like PRTG, but it’s not free. Dude could be a good choice anyway.

I installed the dude on a machine and found that it was extremely memory intensive. I could not run the dude on the same type of machine that I run Cacti on with no problems.

Also with a large network I found it hard to navigate through everything with relative ease.
Seemed more complicated then it needed to be.

However Cacti it’s self is complicated to deploy and to manage without some knowledge or alot of spare time.

Personally I use Cacti and Nagios for NMS and they’ve worked great for us for over 3 years.

Frothingdog.ca wrote:
I installed the dude on a machine and found that it was extremely memory intensive. I could not run the dude on the same type of machine that I run Cacti on with no problems.

FWIW we run The Dude on our Win 2K SP4 file server with a wimpy Athlon XP 2100+ cpu (1.73GHz) & 1GB DDR400 memory. Task mgr. shows ~50MB of memory usage. CPU usage spikes up to 30% on occasion.

How many devices are you monitoring?

Frothingdog.ca wrote:
How many devices are you monitoring?

~100

Ya we were trying to monitor about 1000. Box couldn’t handle it.

use a better box

Don’t have one and don’t want to spend the money, because Cacti is workinf fine for us.

I am confused…
Cacti doesnt do the same things that Whatsup or prtg how can you compare?

We use Whatsup for monitoring dedicated internet services and carrier links.
We use Cacti for graphing.(we give special custumers logins so they can see their usage)
We use Prtg for monitoring especial links, but not all the time…

I am finising to put the network in Prizm, but i am waiting for one point wireless manager!!!

We are running PRTG on our network never really had any complaints.