Jitter going high

So everythings fine the jitter hovers around 4 - 6, but then out of nowhere it spikes to 15, 16, 17 then goes to 5 then back up and then goes back down to 5 for a little bit then the jitter goes back up. Anyone know the cause of this?

Trees Swaying
Planes Flying over head
Squirels in trees with mirrors :slight_smile:

Nah, are there trees in the path, b/c we see this also. As long as the jitter (average) stays low, its ok. When the jitter REMAINS high and doesnt drop is when they go “DOWN”.

Are they complaining about the connection and notice the jitter?

Well i’m the customer, just thought I like to get some responses from people that actually do this for work. when I first got it everything was fine Jitter was 4 at the start and was like that for about a month and then now the connection drops and is off and on for hours. I can see the jitters by the Canopy Stat page thingy.

Sorry about the sarcasm, the trees CAN actually cause jitter problems. What are your RSSI values? What is installed on your roof? 2.4, 900?

What is between the SM and the Tower? Distance? Perhaps the SM is not aligned the best it can be.

Zach

Using 900, rssi is 1639, approx. 1.87 miles from tower.

Hardware schedualing or Software? What firmware? Do you have an internal network? wireless?

Go to expanded stats and run a 10 link test.

Zach Mann
Technical Engineer

wirelessSolutions wrote:
Sorry about the sarcasm, the trees CAN actually cause jitter problems. What are your RSSI values? What is installed on your roof? 2.4, 900?

What is between the SM and the Tower? Distance? Perhaps the SM is not aligned the best it can be.

Zach

The User's Guide states that jitter is a number which reflects the carrier to interference ratio. Now we are only just now learning how to use our new 900 MHz gear and we only have a few subscribers. So take all of this with a pound of salt.

I have a link that is 7.80 miles. It is probably what one would call LOS with a severely impacted Fresnel zone due to trees. It is very stable now that I have gotten the RSSI on both ends of the link above -80 dB and the jitter below 4 at both ends of the link. The jitter is higher on the tower side than at the CPE. Same trees, same link, different jitter.

I have a link that is 1.57 miles. RSSI is excellent and jitter is OK. Again higher at the tower than at the client side. Very stable link. -68/4 client side and -70/4 tower side.

I have a link that is about 4.8 miles. RSSI is in the -70 dB range at both ends. There is another link on the client end which is a DSSS feed for a local radio station. They are backhauling their studios to a tower at 915. When I tried to operate our link in the same spectrum today the jitter was bouncing between 2 and 16. Link would not remain stable after syncing. GREAT signal strength. The spectrum analyzer told the whole story. -70 dB interference from 911 MHz - 919 MHz. We moved to 906 MHz and the link came up, RSSI remained about -70 dB but jitter dropped to a steady 4.

These links lead me to believe that I have local interference at my tower and that jitter numbers do indeed reflect carrier to interference ratios rather than fade, absorbtion, and scatter due to vegetation.

One thing this tells me is that the original poster should check his immediate area to see if there are any new 900 MHz devices installed. Baby monitors, older cordless telephones, etc... etc...

Ok so i’ve noticed it keeps registering itself time after time, and its on hardware scheduling. Could this be that infamous problem, and if so should I tell my ISP provider to click software scheduling instead?

NJD2005 wrote:
Ok so i've noticed it keeps registering itself time after time, and its on hardware scheduling. Could this be that infamous problem, and if so should I tell my ISP provider to click software scheduling instead?

Absolutely. HWS is nearly universal in its buggy re-registering behavior. If they switch you back to SWS, they have to switch that AP back to SWS as well, though.

I’ve only been using Canopy as a customer for 3 weeks and have not had a stable connection in 3 weeks. My carrier has told me everything from the software issue (which I confirmed) to they are moving their AP up on the tower.

My connection is a 900MHz using 7.0 software. According to the stat page I’m about 4.8 miles from my primary AP but it keeps re- reging and at times it will not even get through that. It will try to reg to another AP that is about 15.4 miles from me and it fails. I’m about ready to change carriers if this does not get fixed.
I don’t want to change to something else because I think this is a great product and I’ve even thought of getting involved with it but being down more than up is getting the best of me. I use it to VPN into my office.

I know the 7.2 Canopy version will not be released until the end of June. The tech changed my SM mode to software but I still have the same issue.

My question is will my connection still work if my SM is set for software but the AP is not?

Well the technician is coming out today. Funny thing is, this is the first “high-speed” internet available in my area and now I just talked to an Aliant guy that was near my house, he said they were laying down lines for Aliant high-speed.

dey665:

What kind of antenna are they using on your 900Mhz radio? Is it the white panel antenna? If it is, you may want to request that they switch you over to a higher-gain yagi antenna. If the couple situations where we have had customers experiencing the problems you are, switching them to a yagi antenna did the trick both times… both haven’t had a re-reg in almost month.

Bortnem1:

Thanks, I’ll try to see if they have any of the Yagi antenna’s. The one I have now is the white panel.

Thanks

Well the technician came up and moved the module a few feet, seems the trees were getting in the way. Works fine now though, thanks for your guy’s input.

Keep us posted on your link status.