Last Ditch Attempt to get Reliable 900 mHz

This is a final call for advice or we are ditching our 900 mhz ISP…

I am a 900mhz canopy subscriber located about 7 miles NLOS from our access point. We have a 57" yagi antenna which gave us acceptable performance (90% uptime) for about a year and a half. During the past few months, our connection quality has gone downhill - the radio can connect, but has trouble staying connected. For example, today it will register for about 20 seconds with good gain (-74) and jitter (1-2), but then it will drop. The radio’s spectrum analyzer tool doesn’t show any interference in the AP’s frequency range (906-910). The antenna’s connection strength is greatly affected by its mounting height. Two weeks ago we dropped its height by 5 feet and the connection quality improved to the point where we thought we had fixed the problem - but not any more.

Here is a post describing our environment and connection track record: http://motorola.canopywireless.com/supp … highlight=

Our ISP is no help.

We are debating on whether to drop the service and get EDVO broadband service from Verizon, which is our only other option besides satellite or dialup. Would getting the Pacific Wireless 24" parabolic dish or the 4-foot dish be worth a try? This is our last option before we have to get a different internet service. I asked our ISP about getting the 4’ dish and they didn’t offer any opinion (thanks guys).

Here’s product information on the Pac Wireless antennas:
4-foot dish: http://www.pacwireless.com/products/parabolic_900mhz.shtml
24" dish: http://www.pacwireless.com/products/GD9-15.shtml

Thanks for any advice.

Sounds like interference on their tower, nothing you do from your end will fix it.

If you don’t game or do VPN take a serious look at WildBlue satellite.

What’s your address out there? If you are NW of Burlington, then the Elkhorn tower maybe a possibility…or even perhaps the new WSLD tower south of Whitewater. The latter is 230’ above the ground on top of a hill…so even at 15 miles you have a chance with LOS.

Drop me a PM and we can trade emails addresses. I wholesale off of your ISP’s towers and can work with you on this. I’m a lot smaller than them and live a lot closer to you, so I can be a bit more hands on.

JakinH wrote:
What's your address out there? If you are NW of Burlington, then the Elkhorn tower maybe a possibility...or even perhaps the new WSLD tower south of Whitewater. The latter is 230' above the ground on top of a hill...so even at 15 miles you have a chance with LOS.

Drop me a PM and we can trade emails addresses. I wholesale off of your ISP's towers and can work with you on this. I'm a lot smaller than them and live a lot closer to you, so I can be a bit more hands on.

Wow a local!! We live on Colbo Road north of Burlington. For some reason online mapping tools like Google don't show our road, but if you map the corner of Honey Creek and Hamms Road in East Troy, we're about 1 mile east of there. Elkhorn is probably 15 miles away, and the new Whitewater tower is farther away than that (but 230 ft sounds really awesome for someone a bit closer).

I'll send a PM.

Thanks

This thing drives me nuts! Its back up and working good. It hasn’t been usable all week since Monday.