Last Mile Gear vs ATE Conversion

I’m looking to setup a new POP and I was looking at the last mile gear modded 2.4 Ghz APs with 15 db onmi. I’ve also seen that ATE offers conversion of normal APs for $250 and then I could get any 15 db 2.4 ghz antenna. Any thoughts?

The antenna I was looking at was this one -> http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/hg2415u_pro.php

Not a big fan of omni antennas or 2.4GHz. I think that would work for rural areas(no interferience) or small areas

Juan Marriott

First I have heard of these ones…

Not to sure of how much tech support you would get from MOTO if you had a problem with the radio…

Last Mile Gear is a reputable company, with knowledgeable folks. The gear works as advertised.

If you mention that you have modded gear (non 60* antennae essentially…), Canopy support won’t help you…

I would urge you to stay away from 2.4. It’s very crowded and getting worse. The partial LOS performance is slightly better than 5.7 but is mitigated by the high RF noise floor. Our 2.4’s don’t work nearly as well as our 5.7’s.

Better off going 5.7 if you have good LOS or 900.

Jerry Richardson wrote:
I would urge you to stay away from 2.4. It's very crowded and getting worse. The partial LOS performance is slightly better than 5.7 but is mitigated by the high RF noise floor. Our 2.4's don't work nearly as well as our 5.7's.

Better off going 5.7 if you have good LOS or 900.

This has been something I've been on the fence with for awhile. The terrain here isn't the flattest and we do have many trees. Other local WISPs (who we work with) are doing mostly 2.4 Ghz canopy and have suggested we do the same. Their recommendation is to save 5.7 for the backhauls.

900 Mhz would be great if there is more bandwidth on the AP. Its not a very “future proof” solution if you competition on the way.

Paul

paulchops wrote:
900 Mhz would be great if there is more bandwidth on the AP. Its not a very "future proof" solution if you competition on the way.

Paul

Are you saying 900 isn't future proof or 2.4?

I think he’s saying the 900 isn’t. That with ADSL2 and all the other crap coming out if you can’t push huge bandwidth speeds you’re going to get trampled.

I know I live in a small town and a local cable company is already doing 16mb cable and I’ve talked with the telephone company and they’ve already got 24mb DSL and higher it’s just not available to people yet.

Chas wrote:
I think he's saying the 900 isn't. That with ADSL2 and all the other crap coming out if you can't push huge bandwidth speeds you're going to get trampled.

I know I live in a small town and a local cable company is already doing 16mb cable and I've talked with the telephone company and they've already got 24mb DSL and higher it's just not available to people yet.

In that case I'd agree. We've only used 900 mhz to hit the people way out in the boonies that only have dialup or satellite as options.

Ditto to that =). We can’t/don’t feel like messing with positioning it and competing with the local telco, etc. We’d much rather take what’s already there and run with it.