Let's talk about the PMP 450i

@wrls-tech wrote:

Since I am new to Cambium products, I was wondering will the 450i also require license key upgrades to achieve the highest speed possible. I see a vendor I use is starting to list them, but I don't see any mention if license key is require to get high speeds.

The AP will not require a license upgrade (unless they release a PMP450i AP that has a 10 sub limit on it, like they did for the original PMP450). The PMP450i SM's however will (presumably) need license keys to upgrade their bandwidth capacity.

Does the 450i run the proper 450 software or is it a variant of the ePMP?

The PMP 450i subscriber is only sold as the "uncapped" or highest capacity variety.  There are no throughput licenses.

The PMP 450i currently runs software version R14.0, which is based on PMP 450 software.  Then, on the next release, both PMP 450i and PMP 450 will run R14.1.  At this time, both products will interoperate.  That is, you can run a sector with mixed equipment.

PMP 450i AP to both PMP 450i SM and PMP 450 SM... or... PMP 450 AP to both PMP 450 SM and PMP 450i SM.

Just to confirm that your saying a 450i sm will be able to be run on a 450 AP? Basically meaning for wisp using 450 aps that it would be smart to look into putting up 450i on future customer sites once it’s available in 14.1?

@Timothy Alexander wrote:
Just to confirm that your saying a 450i sm will be able to be run on a 450 AP? Basically meaning for wisp using 450 aps that it would be smart to look into putting up 450i on future customer sites once it's available in 14.1?

That is correct. Swapping out existing 450 SMs with 450i SM gives you the advantage of having a wideband SM available when you eventually swap out the 450 AP with a 450i AP. 

@CambiumMatt wrote:

The PMP 450i subscriber is only sold as the "uncapped" or highest capacity variety.  There are no throughput licenses.

The PMP 450i currently runs software version R14.0, which is based on PMP 450 software.  Then, on the next release, both PMP 450i and PMP 450 will run R14.1.  At this time, both products will interoperate.  That is, you can run a sector with mixed equipment.

PMP 450i AP to both PMP 450i SM and PMP 450 SM... or... PMP 450 AP to both PMP 450 SM and PMP 450i SM.

That is great to hear. So just to be clear, once the radios are purchase, their shouldn't be any need to purchase any type of additional license to unlock so feature? In particular like a limit on the number of radios that can connect to an AP.

Also will the subscriber units have any builtin dynamic rf filtering like the AP units? We are coming to a point where some of our client links would greatly benefit from this because they see so many AP's.

@wrls-tech wrote:
That is great to hear. So just to be clear, once the radios are purchase, their shouldn't be any need to purchase any type of additional license to unlock so feature? In particular like a limit on the number of radios that can connect to an AP.

Also will the subscriber units have any builtin dynamic rf filtering like the AP units? We are coming to a point where some of our client links would greatly benefit from this because they see so many AP's.

The current release of PMP450i SM's are fully unlocked along with the AP's. I have not heard any announcements from Cambium that they're releasing a 10 user locked AP ATM. My guess is that they won't have this option either ever, or until after the product is more mature.

The SM's do feature the same 'Dynamic Interference Filtering' that the AP's employ, along with faster PPS, and other future goodies that the new 450i FPGA allows for.

4 Likes

Just to confirm, everything Eric said is spot on.

@CambiumMatt wrote:

Just to confirm, everything Eric said is spot on.

This is really good to hear. I can't wait till they become available so I can begin testing. Any eta on when distributors will have these?

So only in 4.9-5.95GHz Band- what a shame as would love to see the same performance in the licensed 3.5-3.65 Ghz band- the 14000 pps performance is a real limitation of the standard PMP 450

I have an issue installing this  radio.Am doing a PTP connection,the both of them connects and disconnect every 20 mins.So i need your help because i don't know what to do now

@peter ogwuche wrote:

I have an issue installing this  radio.Am doing a PTP connection,the both of them connects and disconnect every 20 mins.So i need your help because i don't know what to do now

We'll need more information to help you. What does an SA look like on both sides of the link for the channel you've selected? Is the SM re-registering? What firmware revision are you running on both AP and SM?

The both Radios are on 2.6.1

Can you please tell us the compatible software version of 450/450d SM that can work with 450i AP?

If it is released yet.

amanzee1 - To answer your question, any 450 platform software should work between 450/450d/450i radios.

It's always advisable that the SAME version of software is loaded on all radios within a sector (even within the entire network).  Further, if you have access, it's advisable that the latest released software is being used. As of this post, that is version R15.1.1.

It appears from reading posts in this thread (the one you replied to is more than one year old!), there is some confusion as to the exact topic or even radio system being discussed.

If you have further questions, I may suggest starting a new thread...

1 Like