Limited Connectivity

Somebody help me Pleaseee!!!

When i connect to my DHCP server using motorola canopy, My PC can’t get an IP from my DHCP Server, there’s an error “limited connectivity…bla…bla…bla”…But if my notebook connected to the same switch as my PC, i can get an IP from my DHCP server.

Then, i replace the connection using HDSL Modem, both PC and notebook are running normally.

I would have suggested looking at the filters… but if your laptop can pull DHCP fine then there’s no problem in the canopy- it’s definitely passing the requests fine. Assuming that your computer is set to DHCP and NOT a static for the DSL modem…if you haven’t tried, I would suggest doing an “ipconfig /release” then “ipconfig /renew” in the command prompt of the pc when it shows you the connection error.

To help any further than that, it would help to know where the DHCP servier is and where the Canpy is… to get a network idea.

Go to Wal-mart. Spend $14 and replace the NIC.

Make sure you bootp stuff is turned off on the sm

If they were the OP wouldn’t have gotten an address to begin with. The fact it works with one computer and not the other points to the computer.

jwcn wrote:
Go to Wal-mart. Spend $14 and replace the NIC.

I've replaced the NIC. But it doesn't resolve the problem. i also using "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew", But still can not get an IP addres.

My DHCP server is at my office, and i'm using canopy AP with Canopyboot 3.0, then canopy SM at my home using canopyboot 1.0.
Is there any adverse consequences from the difference??
Harry wrote:
Make sure you bootp stuff is turned off on the sm

as stated above, Make sure all bootp filters are off on canopy sm.

the only difference between canopyboot1.0 and 3.0 are different hardware but make absolutley no difference on whether or not you can pull and ip address.
  1. If you set a static IP on your desktop are you able to communicate fine through the Canopy device?

2) Is the Canopy device handling DHCP or are you forwarding it off to a central DHCP server on your network (in other words, is NAT enabled on the SM or is it in bridge mode)?
wifiguy wrote:
1) If you set a static IP on your desktop are you able to communicate fine through the Canopy device?

2) Is the Canopy device handling DHCP or are you forwarding it off to a central DHCP server on your network (in other words, is NAT enabled on the SM or is it in bridge mode)?

1. yesss...i'm able to access the canopy, but i can't access all server behind it

2. Canopy device is in bridging mode, i'm using dhcp relay on my cisco cat 2950 where my canopy AP connected.

The main problem is 'Laptop is running normaly, but not with my PC'

I would say it’s unlikely that it’s an issue with the Canopy device moreso as it is something with either the desktop PC and your Cisco router.

I had an old Cisco 851 router (really basic unit) that refused to route traffic for an Ubuntu box.

You could also try spoofing the MAC address of your notebook (since we know that one works) on your desktop PC and see if it’s an issue with the MAC address - could be something goofy with the DHCP leases.

Just my $0.02

itey wrote:
[quote="wifiguy":2u8emut5]1) If you set a static IP on your desktop are you able to communicate fine through the Canopy device?

1. yesss...i'm able to access the canopy, but i can't access all server behind it
[/quote:2u8emut5]

In this case it's clear that the problem is not just DHCP related.
I would think it's something arp related.
You should check the arp table on the canopy (type "arp -a" from telnet) and see if there is something strange.

In my skimming I missed the fact you can’t access the servers when specifying a static - so yes, something is definitely strange there and most likely not DHCP related.

Just out of curiousity - is your PC running Windows, and if yes, is it using a full security suite such as Norton 360 or McAfee Total Protection? Those two platforms’ firewall components always seem to give me trouble without special configuration (ie the client will not be able to access the web at all unless the firewall has been disabled/reconfigured).

wifiguy wrote:
In my skimming I missed the fact you can't access the servers when specifying a static - so yes, something is definitely strange there and most likely not DHCP related.

Just out of curiousity - is your PC running Windows, and if yes, is it using a full security suite such as Norton 360 or McAfee Total Protection? Those two platforms' firewall components always seem to give me trouble without special configuration (ie the client will not be able to access the web at all unless the firewall has been disabled/reconfigured).

My PC is running windows xp sp2, and i'm not yet installing any security protection