Link Up, Node Down [cnWave]

I just setup a new CN to DN connection. Both are on firmware 1.2.1. I configured the sites, nodes, and link in cnMaestro in the E2E controller. The link shows “up” but the node is “down”. What causes such a problem?

[The process we followed: The DN was setup in the E2E controller on firmware 1.2.1. Then, everything was configured in cnMaestro for the link. Powering the CN for the first time did not result in any link (Firmware 1.1 on CN). Factory default of the CN resulted in a successful link, but node still down. Update to firmware 1.2.1 manually on the CN had the same behavior. Additional factory default of CN had the same behavior. I removed the link and node from cnMaestro, and started over which resulted in the same behavior. At this point, both sides are on 1.2.1, and the CN was recently defaulted. I cannot seem to get the node to come up.]

I’m struggling with this. I’ve spent several hours testing, and seem to get slight variations of behavior almost every time.

Thank you, Chris

Hi Chris,

99% of the time when you have a situation where a RF link shows Active (green), but the connected node shows down (red), this is indicative of a routing issues between the remote node and the E2E. Is your setup using an External E2E, or Onboard?

If you’re available for a few minutes over the weekend, you can DM me and we can hopefully quickly sort out your issue.

David,

This is an external E2E that is located at the same site as the DN. I’ll send a message.

Thank you, Chris

David,

Thank you very much for your help. I documented your primary guidance here so it could be useful to others.

If anyone else has this issue, the route for your seed addresses needs to be established.

This can be done within cnMastro by adding a static route here:

When setting the route, your destination is your “Seed Prefix” which you can find here:

[This works if you’re using Centralized addressing, but not necessarily if you are using Deterministic addressing.]

Assuming you are starting with just one DN, you want to set the Gateway for this route to be the External IPv6 address of that DN. You can find this here:

Alternatively, you can enter these routes directly into the E2E controller interface here:
Menu ->Network → IPv6 → Routes

Now, this does not apply universally, but if your E2E controller is in the same L2 network as the edge of your cnWave network, it should be a reasonable approximation for a basic single PoP system. Further, it is possible that cnMaestroX does this step for you automatically whereas I am using standard cnMasetro.

Thank you, Chris

4 Likes

There is now a tickbox to allow you to do this automatically in the same place which worked for me.

Thanks for the above though, had me stumped for a good few hours! Not sure why its not ticked by default

Any chance you can post a screenshot of the tickbox?

Looks like its paid only, so now i have paid…

This is the Auto Managed Routes feature:

Whilst this is a cnMaestro X feature, you can still set the routes up in Essentials or using the Onboard controller directly.

Extra question - how do you add multiple ipv6 routes if you have multipops and you do not have access to the manage auto routes feature.

ie. How do you generate static routes for e2econtroller to multiple pops. We can configure above easily enough with one pop. … but struggling to understad adding multiple interfaces and address to allow multiple POP static routes in cnmaestro. Can someone provide an example?

If anybody else is on wondering about setting up static routes without auto routes, and using Deterministic Prefix Allocation with multiple POP DN, you can do this by going to your POP Node (should already online in cnMaestro), then click on Configuration, then Advanced and look for - bgpParams.specificNetworkPrefixes.

This parameter will have the POP prefixes to be advertised via BGP.

The first one is the seed prefix, and then the following will be the address range you need to enter as a static route to the External IPv6 address of the POP DN as explained in the above post. You will need to do this for each POP you have created for the CN to come online.

2 Likes