Looking to gather qualitative information on a deployment

I am evaluating Canopy for a client who is interested in deploying one of the Canopy solutions in a very rural setting. Would anyone be willing to speak with me over the phone about their experience with Canopy? Looking to get just a high level opinion on what works and what falls short of expectations.

Thanks in advance.

The biggest issue with Canopy in a rural setting is, like any solution, the low density of subscribers. The cost increases when you have to install AP clusters, or the Cyclone product with an omni antenna, or go with 900MHz to have the option to connect an omni, just to be able to service a relatively small number of subscribers. 900MHz is likely your best choice, but you then have the greatest likelihood of interference; cell and paging towers exist even when surrounded by cornfields.

If the subscribers are few and evenly spaced, but can’t all be reached from a single central point, the costs escalate with the extra hops. When this is the case, but they’re clustered in groups, you can economize a bit with the following:

Use 900MHz or 2.4 or 5.7GHz for maximum range from the primary distribution point, then install remote 5.2GHz APs to service each group. Depending on the size and layout of the network, you may get by without the expense of any CMMs. If the 5.2 APs are at least 5 miles from each other, they don’t need to be synchronized, even with the same frequency reused. You can also get away with mounting a 5.2 SM without a reflector up to about a quarter mile behind an AP without an omni.

The bottom line: you’ll save the most money by designing a network with the fewest hops.

You can call me on my cell phone (515-490-7905; Verizon, if you’re “IN”), or post more questions here to get different viewpoints.

Thanks so much for the help…very informative.