Losing 802.3 (ethernet) link on SM

I have a 900MHz link using a single AP to SM for a private rural connection, and it is pleasantly stable. I can keep a full 2X signal even in the heaviest of rains, even though I pass through some trees including pines. So all that is great.

However, this afternoon the SM suddenly lost the network connection. My AP still showed it as registered (in fact the session count was still 1 with no re-regs even) but if I accessed the SM’s status page from the AP, the Ethernet Interface was listed as No Link. It’s uptime had not reset, so it hadn’t lost power or anything.

Weather was clear; no rain or anything all day.

If I unplugged from the network and reconnected, I still would not get a link light. So I tried cycling the power to the SM to force a reboot, and still didn’t get a link after a minute the first couple times I tried it. I was getting worried at this point, since it seems the power supply was still OK since I could reach the SM from the AP just fine.

The third time I tried the power cycling, the SM came back up and is acting fine again now. But what is a potential cause for this? Should I be worried the SM may be faulty? It is 60’ in the air on a mast and I have to hire a tree service to get to the SM, so I sure hope not. :slight_smile:

Changing the power supply would of course be easy and cheap, but since the RF link was never impacted I’m assuming the power to the SM was fine.

Is this common? Why would it take until the third power cycle to get the ethernet link to come back up? The SM is configured to come up in operational mode, so I’d expect the network link to come up within about 30 seconds even if it had not yet registered with the AP.

Doug

Changing the power supply would of course be easy and cheap, but since the RF link was never impacted I'm assuming the power to the SM was fine.

Assume? Now, now.

I'd change the PSU as the radio can have power on pins 4, 5, 7, 8 but a bad connection on a data pin 1, 2, 3, 6 that would make the Ethernet show as no link.
Jerry Richardson wrote:
I'd change the PSU as the radio can have power on pins 4, 5, 7, 8 but a bad connection on a data pin 1, 2, 3, 6 that would make the Ethernet show as no link.

True, now that you mention it. If this happens again, I'll swap out the PSU then see what happens after that. This SM was just recently replaced and hasn't been in service long, which perhaps made me wonder about it prematurely.

Doug
The SM is configured to come up in operational mode

I think you are talking about the "SM Power Up Mode With No 803.2 Link:" setting. This only applies, as it says, when it powers up with no physical Ethernet link. This will not affect when the physical interface comes up - only the wireless interface.

Besides the PSU, I would also check and test the cabling. Redo connectors. The unplugging and plugging in of the cable may be causing the conductors in the connectors to make and break connection - just barely.

Aaron

well speaking of psu’s i have actually had a couple go bad lately so i go to looking into it and i found that the last 2 orders i placed for these they do not say motorola on the transformer like all my other ones do they say made in china.

has anyone noticed this and could this have something to do with the unusual amount of activity on these lately?

and one more thing if i turn off the 802.11 link in the radio for a no pay then go get it i cannot get back into it cause the ethernet link is turned off will the reset plug put that back to normal if so i have had no luck so far.

oh this was my first disconnection since i started in over a year she said she got an email from someone that ruined her life "lost her boyfriend"and she would never have internet again i told her to becareful she might have to take down her mailbox too OMG!! :shock:

Whoa, I think you mean 802.3 instead of 802.11… And you should have no problems getting back in via the wireless interface if you’ve disabled the the physical interface. Either way, the default plug will bring it back (for that session) so you can turn it back on.

I’m not sure about the transformer labels. I’ll have a look in the morning.

We had our first diconnection the other day as well for a non-payer. And these a$$holes were the worst for complaining about every little thing too - I had a stupid grin on my face when I turned them off. :twisted:

Aaron

The ethernet link only affects the user being able to connect to the radio. You can always get to the SM through the AP as long as it’s registered.

The power supplies are getting flakier. They definately can’t take a brownout or a high surge/spike.

i know i can go back to the ap and get in but i got to drive 10 miles to do it cause i only had that one freq checked and i can’t get into it from here and for some reason i cant get it to reset i guess i will have to drive back to the tower site to turn it back on.