Low bandwidth on BH

Just setup my first Canopy BH10 link. The link is about 6.4 miles and I am using reflector dishes. This was a test to see how much bandwidth we can get at optimal signal levels. We have about -52 to -58 RSSI. Here are my linktest results:

Stats for LUID: 2 Test Duration: 2 Pkt Length: 1522
Downlink RATE: 3686400 bps
Uplink RATE: 3463424 bps
Downlink Efficiency: 100 Percent
Max Downlink Index: 100
Actual Downlink Index: 100
Expected Frag Count: 14400
Actual Frag Count: 14400
Uplink Efficiency: 100 Percent
Max Uplink Index: 100
Actual Uplink Index: 100
Expected Frag Count: 13529
Actual Frag Count: 13529

Here is the status from the SLave:

Session Status   REGISTERED  
Registered AP 0a-00-3e-f1-a6-c5
RSSI 1056
Jitter 1
Air Delay 692 (approximately 6.42 miles (33908 feet))
Radio Slicing Value 471 (decimal)
Radio Transmit Gain Setting 17 (decimal)
Radio Power Level -56 dBm
LUID 2
IP Address 192.168.101.2
Registration Grant Status Normal

I’m only getting about 3 - 3.7mbps throughput and was hoping to get somewhere closer to 7 or 8. Is this typical? Or should I be looking at some settings or configuration changes to help this?

The stats appear to be good and did not take much aiming to get good RSSI.

Thanks!

Aggregate throughput of Canopy BH 10 is ~7,5 Mbps. Remember is Aggregate… if you want throughput more than 7 Mbps, you can use BH 20 Mbps. Your link is quite good n your link test is very good :slight_smile:

regards,
mrdlnf

mrdlnf wrote:
Aggregate throughput of Canopy BH 10 is ~7,5 Mbps. Remember is Aggregate.. if you want throughput more than 7 Mbps, you can use BH 20 Mbps. Your link is quite good n your link test is very good :-)

regards,
mrdlnf

Wait a second!? With a PtP link and a 10 MBit signaling rate, 3.5 MBit/Sec doesn't sound right.

Are you running hardware scheduling and 2X speed mode? I believe that should make a difference.

Take my comments here with a grain of salt, I have never even read the docs on a BH10.

Oh yes, forgot to mention I was running software. But switched to hardware. Didn’t make a difference. 2X the speed would be better! I do not see an option for 2x or 1x or anything like that… do you know wht menu it is under?

I have the user guide printed manual in a big binder. That thing is HUGE though! Guess I will start reading.

Oh and one more thing I forgot to mention. I upgraded the radios from 6.1 to 7.2. Then I later read that I was supposed to upgrade to another release before going to 7.2 (didn’t follow the correct upgrade path). Though everything seems to be working fine, there was no error or anything. Hope this isn’t the cause.

Look at your statistics and read again:

Downlink RATE: 3686400 bps
Uplink RATE: 3463424 bps

Where do you want to get 7 Mbps in either direction on the BH10?

“…Wait a second!? With a PtP link and a 10 MBit signaling rate, 3.5 MBit/Sec doesn’t sound right…”
–> 3,5 Mbps is one direction, right? (i said the link test is good based on link test result)

“Downlink RATE: 3686400 bps
Uplink RATE: 3463424 bps” --> i think “3,5 Mbps” that eger said is based on this result.

I tried to test througput a few month ago with QCheck (www.ixia.com) both of BH 10 n BH 20, n the result is ~3,5 Mbps (BH 10) n ~7 Mbps (BH 20), i think this is normal coz the test only test one way direction (upload or download only)

CMIIW

regards,
mrdlnf

Your link is running good. A 10mb bh only has a threwput of about 7mb the rest is used for overhead. that 7 is both up and down whitch is what you are running. A 20mb runs at about 14 for up and down so if you want 6 up and 6 down you need a bh20.

Wow I was not aware of that… The up/down does not dynamically adapt? For example. If I am using no bandwidth for upload. But using 7mbits for download I will only get 3.5. Same with upload. Using no download and all upload I only get 3.5. Should I not be able to get 7 in either direction? Or is it always reserved for both directions.

Thanks for the info.

you adjust how mutch of that 7 is used for up or down in the master under downlink %. for example set to 50% down will five you 3.5 down and 3.5 up.

So theres no way for it to adjust on the fly for what is needed? i tried that setting and it indeed does exactly what you say. I guess this makes sense. Though it would be nice if it was spread to whichever side needed more.

No, there is now way to switch up/down ratio on the fly, because of sync. algorithm. If you are using sync on your site, and all units configured for same framing (x frame downstream, y frame up) you will totally avoid self interference. But if you units switches down/up ratio (and other units will not know about the actual framing) it will cause interference to other local radios

Understood. Thanks for the info everyone!