Maintenance IPs for SMs- Yea or Nay??

Are maintenance IPs for SM’s really a necessity? We’re looking at ~16000 subs over the next two years & I really don’t want to waste that many addresses on assigning IPs to SMs if there isn’t a good reason to do so. My experience so far is that only time a SM isn’t visible through an AP/Prizum is when it drifts over to an adjacent sector AP.

Is there something else here that I’m missing?

Thanks,

H.

You could simply assign a private IP block for the maintenance IPs. I think they’re only really required if you intend on using Prizm to manage your elements, otherwise you can simply LUID into each SM through the AP if you needed to view it remotely.

wifiguy wrote:
you can simply LUID into each SM through the AP if you needed to view it remotely.

Actually accessing through the AP proxy sometimes doesn't work fine (the webpage seems to hang, it's a knwown issue).
In any case I can't see how you could not to assign any management IP to an SM.
BigTrumpet wrote:
[quote="wifiguy":3tp0583a]you can simply LUID into each SM through the AP if you needed to view it remotely.

Actually accessing through the AP proxy sometimes doesn't work fine (the webpage seems to hang, it's a knwown issue).
In any case I can't see how you could not to assign any management IP to an SM.[/quote:3tp0583a]

Never personally been a problem, myself. In the rare instance where I've had it spit out an error (such as proxy timeout) simply trying again will do the trick.

It would be good practice to just set aside a private IP block for management but it's not necessarily a requirement.

We do all our management/metrics through a private block of IPs. Wouldn’t do without it, myself. That’s probably just our management style, though.

16k subscribers is an awful lot, that works out to about 55 hours of programming radios just to commission them,

That’s why God made scripting languages. :lol:

How do you script the initial programming of the SMs effectively?

It’s harder on v8 than it was on v7, and since I was doing it myself I’ve got others to do it for me, so I’ve not really automated v8, but some crafty cURLness should do the trick nicely. If v7, I just copied source on all of the config pages and made one big form, prefilled statically all of the fields that were the same on all our radios, and then variable substituted the ones that weren’t static.

Anybody out there done this or something like it for v8 yet???