Max subscribers per AP

I’m curious how many subscribers an AP can realistically handle.

Doing some rough math: 6.8Mbps throughput / 512kbps = approx 13 clients (provided up/dn rates match, and full usage). Obviously Canopy supports more clients per AP than this. 6.8/128CIR produces a limit of around 53.

How many SMs do you typically put on an Advantage (non900) AP at, say an average cap of 512 per client?

How many clients can typically be served by a single 900MHz AP, say with 256/128 bandwidth?

What are some rough guidlines I can go by to estimate the number of clients? I’ve seen mentions of up to around 70 SMs on a single AP (2.4,5.2/7). Is this fairly common or more of an exception to the rule?

i guess an AP would support 200SMs, regardless of bandwidth distribution…

somebody correct me if i am wrong…

Yes, the AP will support 200 SMs, or 100 if you’re running in hardware.

The question is how many hosts can I realistically provide with an acceptable level of high speed service on one AP.

The first part I can read in the manuals, repeatadly. The second is information gained by building a network, which I haven’t done yet, but would like to have the information for planning.

Neteru wrote:
Yes, the AP will support 200 SMs, or 100 if you're running in hardware.

The question is how many hosts can I realistically provide with an acceptable level of high speed service on one AP.

The first part I can read in the manuals, repeatadly. The second is information gained by building a network, which I haven't done yet, but would like to have the information for planning.

;)

We started with dialup, Nokia Rooftop systems and DSL and established some interesting heuristics which will probably help you.

Heuristics:

* Between one in four and one in 12 customers are actually at their computer at any given time. With larger subscriber bases the ratio is high, with smaller subscriber bases the ratio is lower. With a subscriber base of one thousand subscribers you can expect a ratio of about one in ten actually at their computer between sunrise and midnight.

* About one in four customers who are actually at their computers, are also pulling bandwidth. This means that at most one in 16 subscribers is pulling bandwidth at any time. With a large subscriber base this number can be closer to one in forty.

Later we put on a couple of hundred DSL subscribers and noticed that we could put about ninty subs (768/128) on a T-1 and they would not notice the system loading. Some people suggest that you can stick 120 of those on a T-1 but we found that to be too many. It will work but it gets sluggish.

On 900 MHz we get 4.29 M/bit/sec to play with. With a 70/30 split that looks something like 3.26/1.03 if you configure all your users at 1.63/.501 you should be able to put 100 subs on the unit, using hardware scheduling.

This presumes that the Canopy hardware will handle the processing and scheduling load.

Aggregate capacity is the same with 2 SM’s or 200 SM’s.