MAx Uplink set to MCS12 in some Elevated radios

I was going through some SM radios connected to an ePmP2000 sector (with beamforming smart antenna) to try and see why some are testing relatively poor data rates using the 'Wireless Link Test' in 'Tools' 

I noticed that some elevated radios had the uplink max MCS rate set to 12. I didn't do this myself, so it must have happened when the radios were elevated. I understand that lower MCS rates are more robust, Anyone any ideas why this occurred and under what circumstances would this be beneficial rather than leaving at MCS15 and letting the radio decide? ,

I'm not sure why its implemented this way, but I have seen this same behaviour on all of the radios we elevated.  It was just part of our workflow to set them back to MCS 15.

@EI3HG wrote:

Anyone any ideas why this occurred and under what circumstances would this be beneficial rather than leaving at MCS15 and letting the radio decide? ,

I don't know why it's set this way by default, but you should set this to the highest available MCS rate unless you're trying to reduce jitter on a client that's having a lot of interference issues causing flapping between modulations and retransmissions. We run a lot of ePMP and we would never use this method unless we'd exhausted all other possibilities to reduce jitter/latency.

Hello, if you used the Elevator tool to do the firmware update, it will set the max MCS uplink to 12.  I'm not 100% sure of the reasoning, but believe it is to improve the overall reliability of the uplink connection.  Typically the device will try 256QAM but fail a large percentage of the time.  Based off of real life deployments, 64QAM was decided as the most reliable.  More information available here: http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/ePMP-Elevate/Device-Elevator-a-powerful-tool-for-your-network-lifting/td-p/75871