MCC default rate

we are playing with the idea of IPTV over wimax, we have 2 set top boxes we are playing with and 1 encoder, which really limits us on testing thruput and behavior of the wimax.

my question is if we set the Default MCC rate to quam 64 5/6 mimo b, if a CPE is at say, quam 64 3/4 will the CPE basestation step the modulation down to compensate for the change in link budget or will it transmit the multicast at max modulation with the liklyhood the CPE will not decode it properly?

we plan to offer the IPTV to LOS customer only, so this should not be a problem.
it seems to step down for us, but we have our backoff powers set pretty high, so the tested CPEs may have been able to decode the modulation any way.

anyone else tamper with IPTV over wimax???

We have been thinking about the samething but never spent the time to find a platform/ equipment to demo. What product are you guys using? How are the AP’s with Multicast so far?

I think we trialled this back before release 2.0. As I recall it worked well even though we couldn’t get the modulation rates up… then something changed in either 2.0 or 2.2 that made it no longer viable, I believe related to QoS, or possibly to do with the max bandwidth to an SM vs the AP’s capacity. I’ll see if I can dig up some more details.

What I can tell you for sure is that you’ll run out of bandwidth in a hurry. Let’s say you’ve got 20 subscribers, and your channel lineup is 2 Mbps per channel. 5 customers watch different shows, and there goes half your bandwidth… and that’s assuming you don’t install anything less than a QAM64 5/6 (again I forget how MIMO effects this)