motorola wi-max

anyone know when motorola will launch their wimax platform? Cant wait anymore…

I was just discussing that with my wireless techs today. I think I need to make another phone call to Mot. They told us that we’d get a SE in to look at one of our towers and someone to talk to, but NOTHING so far.

Motorola has to be careful not to let the competition know what’s going on, but the customers with heavy investment in this expensive equipment should get better service.

decke wrote:
anyone know when motorola will launch their wimax platform? Cant wait anymore.......

While WiMAX is targeted to the metropolitan area networks, it does not bring much to the table that Canopy does not already deliver.

Since we are primarily fixed point to point wireless so long as Moto competes with WiMAX on price/performance and continues to deliver the great product they deliver, we will not be interested in installing WiMAX except where we might light up an area that will be frequented by mobile comupting users.

IOW, while WiMAX is cool, it is too little too late to be really interesting. It is beging squeezed between WiFi (hotspots and mobile computing) and the other proprietary MAN systems (Canopy, WaveIP, Alvarion). There is not niche market for WiMAX to get a good foot hold.

Don't expect widespread adoption unless PC vendors decide to install the chips in laptops, and existing systems don't compete upon price.

Just my two.

so you mean, that lets build more tower and POPS, and put more CMM + AP ? its damn heavy investment…

I just interested in nonLOS product that i can shoot 80km without any repeater. so i can reach more customers that my competitors cant do with taiwan gears .

decke wrote:
so you mean, that lets build more tower and POPS, and put more CMM + AP ? its damn heavy investment......

I just interested in nonLOS product that i can shoot 80km without any repeater. so i can reach more customers that my competitors cant do with taiwan gears .

Ah! The Holy Grail ...

Don't believe the hype being passed around about WiMAX. You are *NEVER* going to see an 80 km non-line of sight product available which works above about 500 MHz. Sorry but physics are physics and non-line of sight is a non-trivial problem.