My APs and SMs appear red (offline) on cnMaestro but are online (live)

Hello,

Please I need help with regards to my access points and subcriber modules, sometimes they (APs and SMs) appear to be offline but they are actually online. As a result of this discrepancy, the throughput and weekly usage charts are no longer recording accordingly and we cannot tell when an AP or SM is down. When we log into the individual SMs, we noticed that on the subcriber module home page, the cnMaestro connection status will be showing connecting in 5 minutes. 

We really need urgent solution to this problem.

Please see attached screenshot from cnMaestro and subcriber module home page for your reference.

1 Like

Hi 

From the screenshots I see that you are using cloud cnMaestro account. APs  and SMs are communication over internet to reach cnMaestro. Could you please check if there is any latency / ping drops to the cnMaestro from APs/SMs.

Best Regards,

Gupta

1 Like

Thanks Gupta for the reply.

Please how can I check if there are latency / ping drops to the cnMaestro from APs/SMs?

Is there any procedure to do this latency/ping drops check?

1 Like

Hi.

Try going under Tools and try to ping "cloud.cambiumnetworks.com". That should test all your network settings.

Kind regards

You can perform the ping to cnMaestro from AP GUI >>Tools >>Ping for 10 packets. Connect a laptop in the same network as APs/SMs and try to ping the cnMaestro.

1 Like

Many thanks Gupta-Bobby,

I have some questions below:

i). is the latency/ping drops check done on the AP or SM?

ii). if this check is done on the AP, will SMs attached to the AP lose connection?

iii). can I get a graphical representation (screen shots) of this latency/ping drops check?

Please see attached screen shot of what I think the latency/ping drops check is. Kindly walk me through on this.

Thanks for your time.

The latency/ping drops check is done on the device that you are running the tool through.

No, running the Ping test should not cause SMs to lose connection.

The screenshot you posted is of the tool.  For the IPv4 Address enter cloud.cambiumnetworks.com and for Number of Packets enter 10.  Then click Start Ping.  The results will show Running... while the test is running.

1 Like

I experience the same thing almost daily. The only fix is to just reboot the radio. It seems like if there is any interruption in service to a tower, ap, or sm then the radio just cannot re-establish a connection to maestro. It will set there and try to connect over and over and over unsuccessfully. Reboot and it connects right away. Its a huge headache if you are trying to monitor ap's and subscribers.

Thank you so much Jordan, your reply was very useful.

I have done the pings drop checks on the APs and attached is the results from the ping test. 

Please interpret the results and advise.

1 Like

issue excalated from NnamO and problem solved. Many thanks to Jordan with graphical image to illustrate on how to solve the problem.

* one feather has just been added to my cap, smile if you know what that means.

1 Like

Hello Team,

I have done the pings drop checks on the APs and attached is the results from the ping test. 

Can someone please help me interpret the results and advise because my APs and SMs are still red on cnMaestro but online.

Hello Team,

Can someone please help me interpret the results and advise because my APs and SMs are still red on cnMaestro but online?

Hi NnamO,

From those screenshots it looks like the devices either no connectivity to cnMaestro (all packets lost) or severily degraded connectivity (70% packet loss and 175ms+ ping).

This appears to be a network connectivity issue and should be debugged from that perspective.  Meaning, devices are not able to contact the cnMaestro server.  Are there any firewall rules that may be blocking devices with 100% packet loss?  What network problems could be causing 70% packet loss for the other devices?

1 Like