Need Honest Feedback

If one were to abandon the epmp lineup, what is comparable in this line up. I have used ubiquiti but wondering about other brands.

1 Like

I do not understand the question a bit?
This is a Cambium Networks forum and you require users to post what to use if you opt out of Cambium?
This is, in my opinion, the wrong address and the wrong question.

1 Like

Where better to find people frustrated with ePMP and looking for a different solution than here ?

Cambium is much more expensive equipment than Ubiquiti, Mikrotik and others.
And now if it shouldn’t be used or can’t trust what Eric stated what’s left?
What is left as an advantage over the alternative and a much higher price compared to some and twice.
Compared to Eric, I don’t stay, I migrate because, as I’ve been saying lately, I’m just complaining about Cambium.
I am not alone as can be seen from many topics on the forum.
Regards

People love to complain. You don’t see the thousands of happy people coming to Cambiums honour cause they’re busy running networks.

If you’re unhappy and not finding solutions then you should find another one that does, but it’s pretty rude to come on to the forum and get competitors. Cambium is actually one of the more lax policing forums and allows a lot of the good and bad to stay up.

5 Likes

If for you the only determinant of building your network is the price, stay with ubi or mikrotik. If you want satisfied customers, efficient network and no need to restart the entire infrastructure every day, stay or choose ePMP Cambium.

Cambium products are not for those who want to provide services of any quality at the lowest cost. These products are for conscious suppliers who build their network consciously with forward looking and reliability.

2 Likes

If for you the only determinant of building your network is the price, stay with ePMP. If you want satisfied customers, efficient network and no need to restart the entire infrastructure every day, stay or choose 450i/m Cambium.

Or

If for you the only determinant of building your network is the price, stay with 450i/m. If you want satisfied customers, efficient network and no need to restart the entire infrastructure every day, stay or choose Fiber to the Home.

See how that works ?

Sorry Eric, but I have some points that contradict yours:
We are using epmp with pppoe, NAT and radius without issues in that regard save the odd radio needing a reboot to get data flowing again, which most of our customers automatically do anyway due to experience with DSL/Cable modems.
We are using epmp for PTP links, but we are also not using F200-25 or F300-25 for these, we use the CSM flavor to a good and large dish with a very narrow aperture of 3 degrees or less and when possible use slant-45 configurations.
licensed bands are not always a viable choice in some areas. Here a 3.5Ghz license would be around $25K/yr per AP, not exactly affordable considering the density of clients.
What I do agree with is not to depend on the onboard GPS, its a nice backup for when a CMM or Packetflux goes down but I could do without it if the AP (looking at 3000L here) had sync over power.
DO overlay your 5Ghz network with 2.4Ghz, yes its noisy but it gives options, for NLOS use pmp450i-900. 900Mhz has good penetration and range, you can get remote RF licenses fairly cheaply as long as you are not too close to sub-urban areas, but still its not out of reach even there.

1 Like

epmp 1000 line has been very solid for us, even using the onboard GPS, we’ve had zero issues. Of course we are very rural and avoid frequency reuse if at all possible, If GPS ever does become an issue, we do plan on using the recommended Packetflux solution, which has been solid on our 450i’s.

Licensed backhaul is not really an option for us as we are too small to justify the cost and the F300 has the bandwidth we need at this juncture. We were quite disappointed with the many problems we had with the initial deployment of the F300-25 as a backhaul but the latest firmware, along with some hardware replacement, has resolved most of the problems and they are stable.

I agree on the CSM with a larger dish for the F300 and wish we had done that initially versus the F300-25’s.

90 percent of our customer base is near or non LOS, so we rely heavily on the Cambium 2.4 epmp and 900 450i and they have been solid. We use 5Ghz where we can, but its not much. We are dabbling with an ePMP 3000 but honestly, it way overkill for what we are using it. An epmp 1000 could easily do its current role for us, but it has been stable with no issues, even using the puck.

Overall we have been very pleased with the Cambium equipment. Some stuff on the wish list I wish they’d do, but there always is.

2 Likes

Hi all, looks like its a mix bag of responses from this post… not looking to cause dissention… but appreciate the honest feedback regardless of information/opinion shared.

Just want to make a couple points in regards to some of the replies…

1. When I posted this I was not saying I was against hearing alternatives in the Cambium ptmp family, although some mentioned the 450 line up, was appreciated.

2. I know for a fact that many many users on this forum use and post discuss other vendors they have deployed alongside Cambium.

3. This should clear up everything and solidify my second point…

This was in a thread between ninedd and myself and this is what simon king said when we were discussing using using Ubiquiti AF instead of PTP 550

Cheers

1 Like

All my netwrk is based on Cambium for the access part and Mikrotik for the networking part of it. Epmp3000 is an excelent line of products and I can compete with the NBN here in australia, I’m offering plans even bigger than them thanks to Cambium. It’s had its down parts as everything but technically speaking Cambium’s radios are much better quality than MTK radios or UBnt. Ubnt has some cool devices like the AF60LR or the 24Ghz AFs and I also use their software UCRM which is amazing for being free. But …when it comes to access kind of products I do not hesitate to choose Cambium.

1 Like

we continuously pull our cambium gear and replace it with the next iteration of cambium gear. that is the sexy part of epmp, forward/backward compatibility. Your best replacement for cambium gear is cambium gear.

3 Likes

Mimosa A5 and C5 lineup is our new Go-To

With all of the issues we’ve had with ePMP 3000/300 we’ve started deploying some Mimosa A5/C5. We are in a very noisy area which I know is contributing to some of the ePMP issues we’ve had.

Mimosa has their issues as well and many things I don’t like. Haven’t deployed enough to have a strong opinion yet.

We are also expanding our 3.5GHz 450s and have been pretty pleased so far.

We have tried all sorts of vendors (pretty much all of them) I can tell you one thing. No 5ghz radio is going to make you super happy unless there is minimal noise. If you want cheap radios that perform you’re in the wrong game. You have to spend money to make money. My suggestion is start investing in your network by upgrading and not downgrading if you plan to keep your clients for a long time. We invested in medusa and our clients are not moving over to fibre. finally, cambium is the best 5ghz radio because of spectral efficiency and the use of MU-MIMO the epmp3000 is getting better as the FW updates are rolling out and soon its going to be the most affordable radio on the market because of its abilities. We have about 10 3000’s in the field all loaded up and its way better than LTU from ubnt which we also have plenty of.

5 Likes

Are you guys seeing roughly 220 Mbps on average on the ePMP 3000 on a 40 MHz channel width? I have mixed feelings about the ePMP 3000. Not great, but not bad. It’s so odd because I tend to lean towards Ubiquiti ALOT :wink:

Hi. This is testing with a couple good MU-MIMO customers – testing data to/from them.
465 Mbit aggregate, 390 Download (with MU-MIMO) and 75 Mbit Upload (in a 40 Mhz channel)

2 Likes