New Forum

I'm probably being a noob, but how to I tell if there are new messages in a thread?  There used to be a 'new' column...

1 Like

I wish the pinned threads had a differenet background color to seperate them, not just the pin at the end.

To me the new forum looks well, just white and blinding.

Need some color to lightening things up a bit.  :)

Please add some more colors, other than that looks great.

2 Likes

@ninedd wrote:

I'm probably being a noob, but how to I tell if there are new messages in a thread?  There used to be a 'new' column...

There's a red bar on the left of the post/thread. That means its a new post or has new messages. 

@Chris-T wrote:

I wish the pinned threads had a differenet background color to seperate them, not just the pin at the end.

To me the new forum looks well, just white and blinding.

Need some color to lightening things up a bit.  :)

Please add some more colors, other than that looks great.

Thanks for the feedback, Chris! The new skin is extremely mobile friendly. Around 40% of our community members use thier mobile to participate on the forum. Some of the "mobile friendliness" have been carried over to the desktop version. We're still fine tuning it. Like any good wine, it'll get better and better over time. :) 

I imagine I'll get used to the new layout eventually, but one thing that I don't like is that it's not as easy to see which threads have unread messages as it used to be. It would be nice if the text was a different color in the subject for threads with unread messages, or something like that. I see that the number of replies over on the right side is blue instead of gray on those threads, but I find that kind of hard to see.

@Cambium_Sri wrote:

@ninedd wrote:

There's a red bar on the left of the post/thread. That means its a new post or has new messages. 

I don't see any red bar...

@Mathew Howard wrote:

@Cambium_Sri wrote:

@ninedd wrote:

Hi Mathew, 

Do you not see something like this?

another example from the cnMaestro forum:

I'm solely a destop user for the forums and I understand it may not be yet optimised for desktop, but none the less here goes some feedback.

It is very white washed and has lost definition between various text objects, this makes it very difficult to skim through posts quickly catching titles, age, and other key info as it all just blends (for example the All Topics of All Posts lists are really difficult now).

It needs some contrast back between topics in a list, perhaps the single line isnt thick enough maybe or possibly some darker shading would work.

I would also suggest the topic title text needs to be more defined, bolder, larger.

Once you get down to the actual posts, there is just too much white spacing - on 1920x1080 I can now only see two standard posts before needing to scroll, where as before I could read 4 before scrolling.

Failing this, maybe a toggle for the old theme in settings... =)

2 Likes

No, for me, I see no red bar anywhere.  I see no indication anywhere of what threads have new unread posts.
That's on both my Desktop at work, and on my Laptop at home, and I use Windows 10 and Chrome on both.
- Thanx.

Same here, no red bars anywhere.  I tried Chrome, Firefox and Edge  no red bars by any of them.

Agree with the others this entire thing is blinding white and everything just blends together.

Nope, no red bars. I tried both Chrome and Firefox.

No red bars here, either.  Using Chrome on Windows and Linux.

I'll second the comment about a lack of contrast being an issue too.  

No red bars... only a sea of white that makes everything difficult to read...

@Cambium_Sri wrote:

@Mathew Howard wrote:

@Cambium_Sri wrote:

@ninedd wrote:

Hi Mathew, 

Do you not see something like this?

another example from the cnMaestro forum:

I do not see a red bar either, on my desktop nor my mobile.

Hi.  Is there any progress on this?  Or is there any way we can switch back to the previous 'classic' layout until this is solved?  I'm feeling kinda lost in here, without any way to know which of the forum threads contain new replies.
Thanks.

This whole mobile-friendly layout makes horribly inefficient use of screen space on real computers, too.....

Hello again. Is there any update on this issue, or any tricks or suggestions?  The forums haven't worked for a couple weeks and I'd like to read the recent traffic.  Thanks.

Hello.  I'm getting no reply or feedback on this.  For me, these forums are essentially non-usable. At the least, I have no way to tell what is new, what is read - and where the new traffic is.  I realize that change requires pain, but the new forum changed about a month ago... and for me, this forum is essentially broken since then.

Ya I have found also that I have stopped frequenctly visiting these forums since the changes.

It's just to (white) bright and does my eyes in. Especially after starting at a computer all day, this is just blaring.

Thanks for the posts. The system should be operating OK now. While the design has improved the ability to read content on tablets and devices, I hear the feedback about the appearance on a PC. We are looking at solutions.