Number of subscribers

I need an idea how many scribers can I have on a 20Mb fiber connection at 4Mb per subscriber?

Hi Allan,

As I understand, you have 20Mbps Fiber connection and you are trying to allocate 4Mbps/Subscriber, kindly correct me if I’m wrong. If this is the scenario, then you can connect only 5 Subscriber to and AP.

Hope this answers your query.

Kindly let me know if you are looking for some other information.

Regards,

Yogesh Giriappa

Cambium Technical Support

@Allan Knisley wrote:

I need an idea how many scribers can I have on a 20Mb fiber connection at 4Mb per subscriber?

I think what you're interested in is typical oversubscription ratios for a WISP. There are a number of different ways to calculate this and opinions that can be found by doing some Google searches. For a typical WISP it might be something like 10:1 (for residential) or 6:1 (for business).

1 Like

It really just depends on your customers. I find that on average my customers use about 1.5 mbps around peak times. Some use more than others of course but this is why I average it out. This is on an unlimited basis. If you have data caps, there's less of a chance that everyone will be using up network resources all at once.

For something like 20 Mbps symmetrical fiber, I would be able to more or less put 12-15 customers on there. Again this just depends on the type of customers you have.

2 Likes