OFDM Frame Calculator (version 13.3 vs. 13.2.1)

Just wondering whether anything changed with the OFDM Frame Calculator between version 13.3 and version 13.2.1 since I'm getting different results between the two versions. Frames were calculated on a Frame period of 2.5ms which should be consistant with previous versions?

Also , seems like it's going to be pointless colocating an PMP450 AP with a frame period of 5ms with PMP100 FSK radios running in the same band? Or have I missed something?

ps. I went through the release notes but couldn't find any information regarding my subject.

Here's same sample data.

This was done from an AP running on version 13.3

Modulation:OFDM
Total Frame Bits : 25000
AP Details :
Data Slots (Down/Up) : 52 /24
Contention Slots: 5
Air Delay for Max Range: 48600 ns, 486 bits
Approximate distance for Max Range: 9.047 miles (47773 feet)
AP Antenna Transmit End : 14254, 1.425472 ms
AP Antenna Receive Start : 15848, 1.584850 ms
AP Receive End : 24779
SM Details :
SM Receive End : 14836
SM Transmit Start : 0
SM One Way Air Delay : 0 ns
SM Approximate distance : 0.000 miles (0 feet)

And this from an AP running version 13.2.1

Modulation:OFDM
Total Frame Bits : 25000
AP Details :
Data Slots (Down/Up) : 52 /24
Contention Slots: 5
Air Delay for Max Range: 48600 ns, 486 bits
Approximate distance for Max Range: 9.047 miles (47773 feet)
AP Transmit End : 14836
AP Receive Start : 16334
AP Receive End : 24779
SM Details :
SM Receive End : 14836
SM Transmit Start : 15848
SM One Way Air Delay : 0 ns
SM Approximate distance : 0.000 miles (0 feet)

The changes to the frame calculator are described in the R13.3 release notes in section 3.17:

https://support.cambiumnetworks.com/files/pmp450/

When co-locating systems, they need to use the same frame size, and the duty cycle has to be selected to avoid overlap of transmit and receive times.

Thanks Lucia, much appreicated.  Also , I've noticed you guys have a co-location tool for PMP450 and PMP320. Any chance you guys can create a tool for co-locating OFDM with FSK ?

Thanks again,

-steph

That is a good suggestion. We will look into it.

In the meanwhile, you can use the FSK and OFDM frame calculators for co-location, following the steps described in the PMP320 to PMP450 Migration Whitepaper: https://support.cambiumnetworks.com/files/pmp450/

The easiest parameter to change is the duty cycle, because of the 1% granularity.

I'm seeing this same issue between the  13.2 and 13.3 frame calculator and the question is still out there.  Why different results?  The frame size is the same and there is no section 3.17 in the notes explaining why the results are different when all the same values are entered...  which one do we trust?

I'm running a mix of 13.2 and 13.3 as a couple of my APs did not work well with the upgrade.  If the timing is different between 13.2 and 13.3 I'm concerned my APs might be walking on each other. 

There was a change in the frame calculator in Release 13.3.

Section 3.17 of the Release notes explains it:

3.17 OFDM Frame Calculator
In release 13.3, the OFDM Frame Calculator enhancement is added. This will apply to all OFDM products (not FSK). The “AP Transmit End” time was changed to “AP Antenna Transmit End” time. Also, the “AP Receive Start” changed to “AP Antenna Receive Start”. Also, the time in ms was added to the print out. This was changed to further detail when using the frame calculator to co-locate with other APs.

In page 32 of the document you can see a side by side comparison of screen shots from releases 13.2 and 13.3.

Yes.  I read that before.  In the release notes linked above, there is no section 3.17.  It goes from 3.11 to 3.2.  In addition, I  studied the graphic, also linked above, for some time and if you look at it, it is a duplicate of the 13.3 version: both sides are exactly the same.   I did see the difference on my APs however.  The difference only appears to be a language change though so my question remains.   Is the timing different in such a way that 13.3 and 13.2 APs will interfere with each other?   Do I need to retime my FSK APs to match the Frame Calc numbers now showing in 13.3?

I do see a section 3.17 in the release notes for R13.3. It is in page 31.

The difference is in the timing the end of the DL and beginning of UL are calculated. Now they are calculated as the timing at the antenna port, which is more accurate.

The difference between the previous version is not large, so I would be surprised if you had co-location issues with your FSK APs. However, if you had configured your FSK AP so that the FSK UL for example started very close to the end of the OFDM DL, it is a good idea to check the timing again, and eventually made adjustments.

The 450 13.3 and 13.2 APs will not interfere with each other.

OK,  I'll check that out.  Thanks for the information.