Opinions, could this kind of install work?

I have 2x5.7 BH20’s (P8) mounted on the top of a 190’ stacked steel Monopole.
I am not able to keep a stable link between radios (around 20% packet loss), I am getting tower sway.
Has anyone any input on mounting these on a tower like this, I am using reflector dishes, 24,255 feet apart, 10 Mbits/Second (2 Level), RSSI stays around 1600-1700, jitter bounces from 1 to anywhere to complete drop. rescanning syncing .etc…
The original installation was somewhat “dirty” one of the BH’s ended up being bad, so it became a compass alignment on the fly.
Opinions, could this kind of install work if I got someone back up there and aligned it, or is more than I am thinking?

Thanks.

regardless of RSSI what the DB level? and your noise floor? sounds to me more than anything its not aimed correctly

Sounds like alignment or interference.

getting -52 dBm.
Noise floor? the other traffic dBm at that freq?
I did a spectrum while rebooting the Master and the “noise” is at -58dBm.

However, while scanning I noticed 5840 is quiet at -92 dBm unfortunately the antenna up there now does not support that freq I would have to swap that one out with another radio.

Correct response to the question VLAN1?

Xrac wrote:
getting -52 dBm.
Noise floor? the other traffic dBm at that freq?
I did a spectrum while rebooting the Master and the "noise" is at -58dBm.

There's the problem.

However, while scanning I noticed 5840 is quiet at -92 dBm unfortunately the antenna up there now does not support that freq I would have to swap that one out with another radio.

Correct response to the question VLAN1?

It sounds like you do not have ISM frequencies enabled.

Go to http://yourcanopymanagementip/ism.html to enable it. 5740 is overlapping but 5735 is not.

Keep in mind that the channels are 25MHz wide so a notch right at 5840 isn’t going to help. You would need to see clean spectrum from 5828 to 5852.

With -53dB at the BH:
- You need 3dB to get a 1X link + 6dB fade to maintain it or -63dB noise level
- You need 10dB to get a 2X link + 6dB fade to maintain it or -69dB noise level

In a high noise environment like that you need extra fade margin so it’s gets harder to make a link work. It might work with no traffic on it, however as the traffic on the BH increases you’ll start seeing the effects of noise in dropped packets.

Looks like your choices are:
- Talk to the other operators to see if you can work out a frequency plan that carves out enough room for your BH
- Physically move away from the source of noise
- Go with connectorized radios and use narrower and/or H-POL antennas assuming H-POL noise is acceptable
- Go to 2.4/5.2/5.4 assuming one of those bands has acceptable noise floor

Beers to everyone !~ “VLAN1” for asking the right questions,
“jwelch” for showing me http://<radio IP>/ism.html.
Hot Damn this is working my signal is (-52 dBm) noise floor is (-90dBm)
It is passing data so clean I bumped it to 20 Mbits/Second (4 Level), jitter is holding at 1-2 and I am no longer losing packets !!
I will be running a ping test for the next 24 to 48 hours but it is looking GREAT !~

With -53dB at the BH:
- You need 3dB to get a 1X link + 6dB fade to maintain it or -63dB noise level
- You need 10dB to get a 2X link + 6dB fade to maintain it or -69dB noise level

That is beyond me <scratches head>

Sweet! Clean spectrum is soooo nice.

The values I gave you were the minumum signal to noise values in order to get a 1X or 2X link.

You need a minumum of 3dB s/n to get the radio to even try to register at 1X and a minumum of 10dB s/n to go to 2X. The 6dB is the fade margin or “headroom” needed to ensure the link stays up since noise floors are rarely static.

In your case you have -52dB at the radio and a -91dB noise floor = 41dB s/n (signal to noise) which as good as it gets without overloading the radios receiver.

Congrats and thanks for reporting back. :slight_smile: