Options to reduce PMP SM scan time

The large number of frequencies in the scan list multiplied by multiple channel bandwidth options result in a long scan time for the SM to find the AP. The following are options to reduce th scan time (without having to manually pick and choose the frequencies).

Option 1: Add a configuration flag to the SM (say "fast connect") which when enabled will tell the SM to try to connect to th elast known AP when rebooted. If it cannot connect, it will do th efull scan.

Option 2: Add a GUI button to deselect all the 2.5 MHz center frequencies. This will will make it easier to turn off all the center frequencies and cut the scan time in half. Also provide an SNMP OID for this option.

well, for instalation we set them only to scan 20Mhz, so it can register fast enough; then after reception of the link put them to scan 10Mhz also, just in case....

but some times, when i go to the difficult instalatons I just put to scan only the frec of the ap I am trying to register

Do both options. Leave the custom channels for 'fine tuned' situations.

Option 1 should already be a default its a bug that's it's not is what I think..

also it should scan 20mhz 10mhz 40mhz 5mhz channels in that order it starting at 5mhz and working its way up is not practical it should go by most common use not by order

1 problem I see with option 1 tho is what if you have a SM that can see 2 AP's at same strength you won't be able to force it to to correct AP as it would just keep reconnecting to last known good freq I run into that issue a lot when I'm right under the tower

This is a great idea that would improve the customer experience.  It sounds very trivial but in the grand scheme of things this would be yet another feature that sets the ePMP ahead of the competition.

With the introduction of additional channel bandwidths, this becomes more important.  We are developing solutions to speed scan time.

Bump…

One thought on the topic might be to be able to include a few "check this first"  center frequecies and bandwidths, perhaps used frequently in the network, and then look to other possibilities after that.