PMP 450 v13.4 Backward Compatibility

I have a network with 40 AP's and roughly 550 SM's. I have an assortment of firmware versions on the SM's beginning at 12.2.2 all the way up to 13.3. When I upgraded one of the AP's to 13.4 with 21 subscribers on it, the only SM's that came back after the reboot were the 12.2.2 versions. Has anyone else experienced any issues with the 13.4? I seem to notice this same issue with 13.3.

13.1.3 seems to be the most reliable firmware version.

Interoperability testing between many older firmware types is a tough, time consuming project. We've found it best to use the same firmware rev on both the AP and the SM's. We've always stayed up to date with major releases and have found very few issues. I'm curious why you think 13.1.3 is the most reliable firmware?

2 Likes

As far as backward compatibility goes, 13.1.3 is somewhat universal. It will not communicate with 13.3 or 13.4. But works well with all of the version 12. Upgrading SM's is tough when you're in the blind on the update. Obviously I face the issue of the SM's not returning once pushing the update. I then have to wait until I get the AP updated to see them come back. I've found that there are always 2 or 3 that didn't load the update correctly and have to be updated locally. When you're operating a network that spans 150 miles with 40 AP's stretched out, it can get really annoying very quickly.

Also, I have to wait until 13.4 starts showing up from the distributor as the pre loaded software on the SM. 13.1.3 is what I've been receiving for quite sometime now, and it will not communicate with a 13.4 AP from what I can tell.

It sounds like that if you're choosing to stick with 13.1.3 then you're bound to have some compatibility issues as this is now a pretty old release. Again, you didn't mention exactly what in terms of reliablity that you've found that 13.1.3 is better then 13.4. We have 30 PMP450 AP's, and 600 clients and we have the best luck in terms of stability/success in our upgrades when we upgrade everything following a major releases. Are you using CNUT or WM4's ability to automatically upgrade SM's when the AP is updated? This makes updates quick and easy and we find that there are rarely any issues with updates.

I find it easier with CNUT (only due to the fact that I'm more familiar with it). WM seems to lock up from time to time for us. As far as my initial statement about 13.1.3 being more universal, I like it because it can speak to many of the older firmware versions. I did not worry about the new versions because I didn't see the updates benefiting us too much. With 13.4 adding the AAA Radius changes, I see this benefiting us a great deal. I'm currently working the CNUT auto update and hope that I can come up way around the older firmware versions. Do you know the process of the auto update? SM's first, then AP? I would assume this but never read up on it.

I'm not doubting 13.3 or 13.4 updates. I'm sure they are better than the 13.1.3, just not as tolerant to older firmware.

@IveyCOP wrote:

I find it easier with CNUT (only due to the fact that I'm more familiar with it). WM seems to lock up from time to time for us. As far as my initial statement about 13.1.3 being more universal, I like it because it can speak to many of the older firmware versions. I did not worry about the new versions because I didn't see the updates benefiting us too much. With 13.4 adding the AAA Radius changes, I see this benefiting us a great deal. I'm currently working the CNUT auto update and hope that I can come up way around the older firmware versions. Do you know the process of the auto update? SM's first, then AP? I would assume this but never read up on it.

I'm not doubting 13.3 or 13.4 updates. I'm sure they are better than the 13.1.3, just not as tolerant to older firmware.

CNUT (by default) upgrades the AP first, then the SMs.

There are sometimes cases where there are certain versions that must be used to “step” upgrade the radio software.  

Features and performance changes occur that result in frame structure changes, where releases are not necessarily compatible.  This was the case going from R13.1.3 to R13.2.1.  Performance was improved significantly but required structural changes that required a “reverse upgrade”.  Therefore, release compatibility cannot skip that step.

We always support n-1 releases, and put strongly worded notes in the release notes when processes must be altered to make it work.  In this instance, Cambium may need to add some documentation to this 13.4 release, stating that one must come from R13.2 or later.

It is always good policy to have AP’s and SM’s on the same system release.

There is good news!!  When CNS-NG supports PMP450 later this year, CNUT will no longer be required.  Software audits can occur as configured and pushes can be done automatically through the tool enabling an automated and methodical means of keeping systems updated. 

We always support n-1 releases, and put strongly worded notes in the release notes when processes must be altered to make it work.  In this instance, Cambium may need to add some documentation to this 13.4 release, stating that one must come from R13.2 or later.

Hi,

so, what's going to happen with PMP100? Last release was 13.1.3.

Thank you

Hi,

so, what's going to happen with PMP100? Last release was 13.1.3.

Thank you

PMP100 is supported by 13.4.... and 13.4 will most likely be the last big release for PMP100 line... as it's pretty much perfect and I believe Cambium's running into resource boundries of what that aging platform will support.

1 Like