PMP 450i / cnPulse in AUX mode.

We have a new PMP450i 900Mhz AP, and a cnPulse that we are trying to get working. Currently the AUX port of the cnPulse is connected to the secordary port on the PMP450i with a 150ft shielded cat5e cable with T568A 8P8C connectors on each end.

As far as I can tell, our configuration is corrrect, however we get no sync in doing so (and there is a clear view of the sky, Ubiquiti radios get GPS sync).

Any guesses to what we are doing wrong?

@Smokeshow wrote:

We have a new PMP450i 900Mhz AP, and a cnPulse that we are trying to get working. Currently the AUX port of the cnPulse is connected to the secordary port on the PMP450i with a 150ft shielded cat5e cable with T568A 8P8C connectors on each end.

As far as I can tell, our configuration is corrrect, however we get no sync in doing so (and there is a clear view of the sky, Ubiquiti radios get GPS sync).

Any guesses to what we are doing wrong?

Hi Smokeshow,

Can you attach a screen shot of your Home-->Sync Status page from the AP? Also, I assume you've enabled "AutoSync" or "AutoSync + Free Run" from the Config-->General-->Sync Setting-->Sync Input dropdown?

Thanks,

-Al

You bet, we are running AutoSync + Free Run. UGPS power is also enabled. I am wondering if the 150ft of cable is too long for the 5v power output from the AP down to the cnPulse? We are going to attempt powering the cnPulse with a power supply tomorrow, and see if we get sync to the AP.

Thanks! Looking at that screenshot, and taking into account the fact that you said you have UGPS power enabled, you should be seeing GPS telemetry data on that page, even if you haven’t achieved enough visible satellites to achieve 1PPS sync. Since you’re not seeing that, I would tend to agree that you’re probably right about the 5v supply over the 150ft run being a bit too far to keep the voltage up. Let me know if using a power supply at the unit helps. Good luck!

Powering the unit with 48v solved our issue.

1 Like

Thanks for the update! Glad it’s working for you.

FYI for future reference the maximum length of cable between the PMP450 aux port and uGPS is 130'. Looks like you guys just exceeded that limit by a bit. You can find more info on specs here.

1 Like