Port Forwarding work around?

I have a rural ISP who connects to a Cambium radio modem  5.4/5.7GHz MIMO OFDM - Subscriber Module
0a-00-3e-b3-54-2f.  If this is not the correct forum please move this message.  I phoned tech. support who said there is no port forwarding for this unit.  I want to run website host software WAMP.  Normally it requires port forwarding.  Please explain in detail how to get around this lack on your device.  i don't know what port forwarding does but since very complex software like Facebook and Google voice can provide two way phone access, I think it should be possible to run a website server somehow.  Thank you.

You probably posted to wrong thread.... I assume you're connecting to a PMP450 SM? If yes, then it certainly does provide for both port forwarding, DMZ (while in NAT mode), and bridge configurations. To give you an example, while this radio supports port forwarding/DMZ... we will not configure this for clients (we have various technical/policy reasons why we won't do this)... instead we require them to get a static IP address (for an additional $10mo), and set the radio to bridge mode. I'd suggest that you reach out to your ISP and ask if there are static IP address options and go from there.

"PMP450 SM"?  I don't know, I posted the information given on the device login screen.  I do not have physical access.  i buy my internet from a neighbor since the real ISP refused to take me as a customer.

"To give you an example," Ysou gave no example but only a statement of refusal to supply an example.  Please provide an example.  I am not a direct customer of the ISP so I can't negotiate with then, which is likely why the lady refused my account.

" we will not configure this for clients" I am not asking you to do it, just tell me how, if possible.

" we have various technical/policy reasons why we won't do this" Please explain these resons in detail so I can netotiate with your management for an exception.  Thanks.

If that was information from a screen shot of the gateway, then you most likely have a PMP450 SM.

The ISP is most likely not going to give you access to the radio to configure it because you could possibly mess up the settings, give yourself more bandwidth, etc.

We don't do port forwarding or DMZ for the client because the IP on the radio can change from time to time and we also don't like having residential customers hosting servers. It also provides an additional level of support that we don't want to to deal with when they call in and want this port or another port opened up, or their needs change. We find it's better to just provide them a static IP so that they can manage their firewall/dmz/etc. setting on their own router.

Again, your best bet is to just ask for a static IP address.

To further clarify, unless they're willing to give you the username and password to manage the radio, there's absolutly nothing you can do short of using programs/services that are NAT friendly, or using VPN tunneling.

"we also don't like having residential customers hosting servers."  Great!  I knew there was something to argue in your policy.  Now please provide the names and email addresses of the managers who can actually change this or provide an exception, not just receptionist level managers who can only tell people to accept their boss' policy.  Thanks.

I have no control over Cambium's product nor the ISP you're with... giving you quote... 'the names and email addresses of the managers who can actually change this..." will not help your situation.

'the names and email addresses of the managers who can actually change this..." will not help your situation.

That is obviously wrong.  They may change their policy or may not but it would at least allow me to try.

I have no idea who your ISP is... and giving you the names and contact information of various Cambium staff will not give you access to the radio to make the changes you desire. Again, the ONLY way for YOU to resolve this is for you to contact your ISP and negotiate with them.

Getting access to the radio is a problem I think I can solve.  Gettiveng instructions on how to set it up once I gain access is where I need help.  If you are unwilling to provide an example, perhaps Cambium managers will.

Assuming you can get admin access to the radio, you can set the DMZ on the 'NAT' tab... or you can set individual port forwards on the 'NAT Port Mapping' tab.

1 Like

Thank you.