Prizm 2.0 working on Gentoo Linux

I have just sucessfully installed Prizm 2.0 on Gentoo Linux 2006.1 x86.

I will provide a howto in the next week as I know a few other people want to run Prizm on Gentoo, and for those people that want a fast lean machine and do not want to have to run X windows. I might even make an ebuild for the install as a few changes are needed in both the Prizm stuff and Gentoo stuff.

Sorry if it seems like I’m spaming you with PM’s. The main issue still seems to be that the Prizm installer can’t find where my jre is located even when specified. I’ve tried sun-jdk and sun-jre both version 1.5. Did you have to do something special to get the installer to pick up your jre?

Once again, thanks in advance for any help.

Any luck of getting that Gentoo howto out of you :smiley:

Would a HOW-TO be available any where on the web?

TCGS

Hardcore-Computers wrote:
I have just sucessfully installed Prizm 2.0 on Gentoo Linux 2006.1 x86.

I will provide a howto in the next week as I know a few other people want to run Prizm on Gentoo, and for those people that want a fast lean machine and do not want to have to run X windows. I might even make an ebuild for the install as a few changes are needed in both the Prizm stuff and Gentoo stuff.

We got pretty far into it with Gentoo, and got parts of it worrking, but after two days of fussing (and absolutely ZERO help from Motorola), we finally cut our losses and did a Wiindows box.

Then, we decided not to buy prism, since it really isnt very mature product in our opinion after testing. It has potential, but a little quirky and not a good fit for our network topology.

Would love the BAM feature to restrict SM’s for future peace of mine as we grow though. Nobody has reverse enginnerred that yet?
:?

We’re running smooth as silk under CentOS, which is a Red Hat Enterprise Linux based distro. It gives Prizm exactly what it’s looking for withoutthe Red Hat EL price tag. Updates happen just as fast as Red Hat from what I can tell.

Ok , I got Prizm running on Gentoo but I’m getting a few error messages in my log file. Anybody knows what this is and how to solve it?

SYSTEM Get Remote Service: Canopy.Prizm.LogEventManager Internal/Unknown Requester: java.rmi.server.ServerNotActiveException: not in a remote call
SYSTEM Get Remote Service: Canopy.Prizm.NodeManager Internal/Unknown Requester: java.rmi.server.ServerNotActiveException: not in a remote call
SYSTEM Get Remote Service: Canopy.Prizm.NodeManager Internal/Unknown Requester: java.rmi.server.ServerNotActiveException: not in a remote call
SYSTEM Get Remote Service: Canopy.Prizm.NetworkManager Internal/Unknown Requester: java.rmi.server.ServerNotActiveException: not in a remote call
SYSTEM Get Remote Service: Canopy.Prizm.UserManager Internal/Unknown Requester: java.rmi.server.ServerNotActiveException: not in a remote call

SYSTEM [JavaUtils]-Unable to find required classes (javax.activation.DataHandler and javax.mail.internet.MimeMultipart). Attachment support is disabled

Why are you trying to run an unsupported platform?

Use CentOS - it’s free and it works. The install is very straightforward, and CantOS will give you a TON of additional server functions.

I thought only Redhat Ent. 3 & 4 was supported :wink: Anyways, it was actually quite easy to get everything going in Gentoo and it seems that both Prizm and BAM are functioning correctly without any problems. I said problems, not errors but it will be running without any errors soon… I hope :smiley:

So back to my original question, does anybody know what their meaning is and how to fix them? Also, is it anything important since like I said it seems that BAM and Prizm is working just dandy.

Back to you’re question, why use Gentoo? Well, because it’s mean, lean and knocks the wind out of most ordinary Linux Distro’s like Centos.

I hear you. we all love one distro over another.

my point is that unless one is a linux guru and can work through issues it a good idea to stick with what is supported.

while RH is oficially supported, centos is for all practical purposes the same thing. so if you had an issue you could ask how it would be fixed in RH and the fix would still apply.

if gentoo is that much better I think I have no choice but to check it out.

It takes a while getting use to it and it’s not a very easy distro to get going, but once it’s installed and you figured out all the differences it’s a breeze to manage and update.

Getting back to the problem. I don’t really think it’s a Gentoo problem but rather some Java module or something that’s missing. It might even be a version depency issues or something. I’ll play with it some more but if I can’t get it sorted I’ll rather follow your advice and just move over the Centos.

Steph,

I am planning test Prizm but not able to decide which OS to use…I am comfortable with both CentOS and Gentoo. Gentoo is my favorite…it is rock solid…cool like a breeze and package management superb, it will knock off any distro of RH.

Did you able to solve the problem? Are you still running Prizm in Gentoo or switched back to CentOS?