Prizm and SNMP "received unknown trap" errors

Interesting issue I am seeing on both 900 and 2.4 SM and AP units. Periodically I will checks alerts and have anywhere from one to 50 or so “Received Unknown Trap” on various units. The content is always pretty much the same except for the unit specific information (IP, Name, etc):

<quote>
Host: IP=10.1.1.3, port=162, community=public, version=2c
Varbind: iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysUpTime.0,23298146
Varbind: iso.org.dod.internet.snmpV2.snmpModules.snmpMIB.snmpMIBObjects.snmpTrap.snmpTrapOID.0, iso.org.dod.internet.snmpV2.snmpModules.snmpMIB.snmpMIBObjects.snmpTraps.authenticationFailure.0
Element XXX YYY
</quote>

One, IP and Element name changed for posting, all else is quoted, to include the community of “public” which is not our SNMP community…

Anyone else seeing this in Prizm or have an idea of what is causing it??

Do you have the latest Software and Patches installed? This usually happens when a trap is not recognized/cannot be parsed.

This particular trap occurs when an attempt is made to access the device via a wrong SNMP Community String.

> Do you have the latest Software and Patches installed?
> This usually happens when a trap is not recognized/cannot be parsed.

Believe so according to the software pages. Prizm 2.1 with all patches I can find. AP and SM’s are all 8.1.5.1, CMM-Micro are all 2.2 whatever.

> This particular trap occurs when an attempt is made to access
> the device via a wrong SNMP Community String.

Hmmm, Prizm is saying it “received” an unknown although I guess it is possible that something in Prizm is starting the conversation that causes the error to appear. The same devices work fine for days to sometimes weeks on end, then suddenly I will get 1 to 10 to 179 (the max I have seen so far) of these errors, then everything goes back to working just fine again - with no changes in the network at all.

Have anybody found an solutions for the Problem?

I have the same problem!!

THX

We too are experianceing this problem. Causes all units to display red. Everything had been running fine and all of a sudden this cropped up. Hate Prizm and sure wish they would have left BAM alone.

May have found issue. Went to Define Networks and looked at each of my network default configurations, default snmp communities. For some reason public was in the list and should not have been. Waiting for next cycle to see if problem went away.