Prizm not auto discovering any devices

Hi,
Recently i installed Prizm 2.0 licensed for BAM only usage on a Redhat Enterprise 4.0 Server without dramas.

I can go to the webpage, and it reports that the server is UP, i can launch the PrizmEMS client without problem, but it fails to Auto Discover any devices.

When i open the define networks view, their are 3 items listed.

Discovered Networks, Network Elements and Ignored Elements

Nothing is listed in any of them. The PrizmEMS documentation says their should also be an option to specify i.p ranges/subnets to search for devices, but this seems to be missing.

I only have a single Access Point and 20 subscriber modules at present, and they are on the same subnet as the server, and all are pingable from the server.

Does any special configuration need to be done to the AP or the SM modules themselves to enable Auto-Discovery on the server ?

thanks for your time.

Michael

slaterm61 wrote:
Hi,
Recently i installed Prizm 2.0 licensed for BAM only usage on a Redhat Enterprise 4.0 Server without dramas.

I can go to the webpage, and it reports that the server is UP, i can launch the PrizmEMS client without problem, but it fails to Auto Discover any devices.

Nothing is listed in any of them. The PrizmEMS documentation says their should also be an option to specify i.p ranges/subnets to search for devices, but this seems to be missing.

I only have a single Access Point and 20 subscriber modules at present, and they are on the same subnet as the server, and all are pingable from the server.

Does any special configuration need to be done to the AP or the SM modules themselves to enable Auto-Discovery on the server ?

thanks for your time.

Michael

Is there any error message following ur experiment?

I've never used 'BAM only' mode with Prizm [and never find any reason why I should only use BAM only operation ;) ] . But I think there'd be no significant differences between them [in objective of using Auto Discovery]

You wrote that "When i open the define networks view, there are 3 items listed.
Discovered Networks, Network Elements and Ignored Elements". Well, as long as I use Prizm, there're should be 4 items available for review : New Subnet, Discovered Elements, Network Elements, and Ignored Elements. If you want to do "Auto Discovery" , please identify your network configuration first, in the New Subnet item. If you set all the Subnet parameter configuration right, I think you can smoothly enter the Discovered Element item.

The functionality to Discover Elements is for Full EMS functionality in Prizm. In BAM only mode, you have the option of Adding your Network Elements for Provisioning, or Importing your BAM Database.

The discovery section will contain Elements that are discovered via Authentication Failures - From which you can either permanently Reject (Ignore) the elements, or accept (authenticate) them as Provisioned Devices.

Thanks for your reply.

My problem exactly, is that the “New Subnet” option just isnt there.

I saw the screen shots in the documentation, and on my installation it is not present.

regards,
Michael

bekicotrasta wrote:
[quote=“slaterm61”:36s6x1x1]Hi,

thanks for your time.

Michael

Is there any error message following ur experiment?

I’ve never used ‘BAM only’ mode with Prizm [and never find any reason why I should only use BAM only operation :wink: ] . But I think there’d be no significant differences between them [in objective of using Auto Discovery]

You wrote that “When i open the define networks view, there are 3 items listed.
Discovered Networks, Network Elements and Ignored Elements”. Well, as long as I use Prizm, there’re should be 4 items available for review : New Subnet, Discovered Elements, Network Elements, and Ignored Elements. If you want to do “Auto Discovery” , please identify your network configuration first, in the New Subnet item. If you set all the Subnet parameter configuration right, I think you can smoothly enter the Discovered Element item.[/quote:36s6x1x1]

New Subnet and Subnet Configurations are not needed in BAM Only Mode. As such, those options are not displayed/available. In this mode, all you really need to do is Add Elements for Provisioning, or Import from BAM (if you are a BAM user migrating to Prizm).

May be your Software version on your SM and your AP are different. They should be the same.