PTP 450i Disconnects

Hi.

I have a PTP450i link that will drop a few times every day. Spectrum is clear. Power levels are perfect and the distance is short. I have changed cables, psu and even the link but still having the same issue. Its running on 16.2.2. When its operating its perfect.

Any suggestions?
Paul

Hello Paul,

1. would you precise the frequency you are using for your link and channel width?
  2. Are you using an integrated radio or connectorized? If connectorized, check if jumper cables are well plugged from the radio to the dish and follow the same order in connection
  3. Can you share also the receive signal strength and the range of the link?
  4. Is the installation on tower, mast or rooftop?
  5. In which environment are you working in (Rural, city or town)?

Sincerely yours,

Niragira Olympe

1. would you precise the frequency you are using for your link and channel width?

5845.0 MHz on 40MHz

1. Are you using an integrated radio or connectorized? If connectorized, check if jumper cables are well plugged from the radio to the dish and follow the same order in connection

Integrated

1. Can you share also the receive signal strength and the range of the link?
Receive Power : -53.2 dBm
Signal Strength Ratio : 3.0dB V - H
Signal to Noise Ratio : 35 V / 37 H dB
Air Delay : 42075 ns, approximately 3.916 miles (20679 feet)
  1. Is the installation on tower, mast or rooftop?

top of water tower and well secured

1. In which environment are you working in (Rural, city or town)?

rural

Hello Mr. Paul,

thank you again for the nice precision. When I check on your firmware, you mentioned 16.2.2. On Cambium Networks PTP 450i download page, we have the following version:

Try to use the following firmware on your radios:

Note for upgrading the firmware,

1. CANOPY161_1BUILDOFFICIAL_PXP45x_S.pkg3 works with CNUT Updater Tool
  2. CANOPY_16.1.1.tar.gz works with cnMaestro

Use what is easier for you.

So, also, the firmware you used is for PMP 450 point to multipoint, so it should not be in your PTP 450i radio actually:

I will be waiting for your response.

Sincerely yours,

Niragira Olympe

Niragira Olympe
Hi, thank you for the response.
Yes, i can change the software patch. I’m unsure why it is showing as the recommended software patch on the Maestro for this if its not the recommended software patch?

i have moved them back to 16.1.1 and will monitor. Thank you for the help.

Paul

Paul, Thanks for posting.

Olympe, thanks for helping.

We have had a long standing issue of having occasional sesion drops in strong signal conditions. This would depend upon the data traffic pattern and most susceptible to happen at 8X links. This has been addressed in release 20.0. The 20.0 Beta Release Notes read:

Improved Link Performance

A new encoding/decoding introduced in 20.0 improves the performance of the link in a variety of traffic payloads. It also decreases the likelihood of lower modulation or a dropped session due to a specific packet payload. For this reason, we recommend that SMs are upgraded first. If the AP is upgraded first, each link will run at a max of 2X MIMO-B until the SM side is also upgraded. As always, it is recommended that both sides of the link be running the same software version.

Would you mind being able to try the latest R20 beta and letting me know how the sessions are?

Another workaround in debugging could be to limit the max rate to 6X and monitoring the sessions. In R20 this will not be needed, can run at full 8X.

Charlie

1 Like

@Olympe, also the PMP/PTP 450/450i/450b/450m are all supported by these all versions. Sorry if our support site is confusion on differentiating “PMP 450” and “PTP 450” we should make that more clear.

The only exception is PMP 430 support which ended in 16.0.1.1.

It was stated in this thread that 16.2.2 is for PMP and therefore should not be used for PTP450i. Is this correct? I generally assume that 450 software versions apply to both PMP450 and PTP450. (In our case we are mainly using PMP450i and PTP450i.) When we import software into our on-prem cnMaestro I don’t import different software for PMP and PTP. I did a (very) quick scan of 16.2.2 release notes and I didn’t see anything saying not to use it for PTP.
Thanks
Don

Charlie - it looks like you answered my question at the same time that I asked it. :grin:

1 Like

Yes, I just barely answered before you asked @dworkman. Down to less than a minute before, wow! :slight_smile:

Again, 16.2.2 (and all versions) work for the whole 450 platform (both PMP and PTP). Sorry again for the confusion.

1 Like

Hi Charlie

OK, that makes sense now. I was confused as to whether or not I was doing the right thing by applying the the same software patch to PMP450 and PTP450. I will would be inclined to try the R20 beta and see how it goes as I’ve had the same issue on other links with different software patches.
Really hope this solves the problem because when the links work they perform really well.

Paul

1 Like

Hi Charlie

So…I moved to 20.0(Beta-6) last night and it was worse than the pervious 16.2.2 drops were more frequent and pings were all over the place for an 8 hour period.

I have reverted back to a stable software release and will be happy to test the link in future with 20 when its complete.

Paul

@Paul_Cullen, thanks for the feedback! We will investigate and update back.

Hello Charlie,

thank you for the precision.

Sincerely yours,

Niragira Olympe

@Paul_Cullen, FYI we root caused the issue where the device was resetting due to running out of buffers that you saw on 20.0 BETA-6. The fix will be included in 20.0 BETA-7 and posted soon.

Sorry again for the bug that you ran into that was unrelated to the fix you were looking for.

Hi Charlie.

Thank you for the update. Will you keep me posted on the release of BETA-7 and i will give it a try.

Paul

Is FPGA Version - 062618 bad?