PtP 550 Management

Hi all,

Just having some trouble accessing my ptp 550s through my network via my network switch.  I have my ptp 550 static IP'd on the same subnet.  Am I missing something in the settings?

Might need to make sure that ethernet and wireless paths are enabled for mgmt on the network tab.

2 Likes

I will double check that, I remember selecting the ethernet and wireless option but will confirm when onsite.  Thank you!!

Hi Eric, I double checked and I did pick Ethernet and Wireless for management. I still cannot access the PtP 550, here’s my setup…

I have a mikrotik router where port 2 is my dhcp server and that is connected to my cnMatrix switch. My PtP 550 is connected to my Mikrotik on port 3. Is there something I may have missed on my switch?

Are you using VLAN's? What happens if you plug the radio into the Mikrotik router? Are you using DHCP to assign IP's to the radios?

Hi Eric,
Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it! No I haven’t set up vlan for the PtP 550. I’m a noob in regards to Cambium’s equipment. I’ve dealt with Ubiquiti and on the air fibers you can run a second management line, so in the past I connected Air fiber PtP to mikrotik router to establish the link and the second line to the switch I whisk it got an IP address, the dhcp server was setup on the router. And that setup was with both a mikrotik router and switch.

So I’m a bit lost in how to replicate that with only one line for the PtP 550, I’m guessing vlan is the answer? But how do I get the dhcp to assign an IP the 550 if I can’t connect it to the switch with a management line?

Why not just use in-band mgmt? This is typically the easiest way to configure your radio. Traffic and mgmt traffic go over the same interface. I'd avoid using DHCP to assign mgmt and IP... you're just asking for problems IMHO.

The second way to do this is by using seperate VLAN's for regular traffic and for mgmt traffic. To do this you'll need to enable mgmt VLAN and assign an ID on both radios. This way requires a bit more setup, but is more secure.

Since you're new to all of this, I'd just use the first method just to make sure things are working right and get the hang of it.

Hi Eric, thank you for the reply!
Yes I agree, I was going with the first option you described. I am not dhcp’ing the Ptp550 radios, I set them with a static IP for in-band management. And when I connect directly to the device via RJ45 On the Poe data port I can access the radio on the IP I assigned it no problem. The problem is that when I connect the PtP 550 to my Mikrotik router I cannot get to the radio nor does it come online in Maestro.
My setup is ISP into Eth 1 on my router, eth 2 on Router is the dhcp server and that is connected to my cnMatrix switch. I have my ptp550 into port 3 on router and that continues my link to the next site, using OSPF for routing. Everything is working fine and I have internet access at site 1 and 2. I just can’t log into the ptp550s via my matrix switch and it doesn’t come online in Maestro, I have on-boarded my switches so I know that I’ve inputted my on-boarding credentials correctly into the PtP 550s and I also made sure that I checked off Ethernet and Wireless management. Again, I really appreciate the help!

When you check the physical port stats are you seeing that they're linking up at 1gbps FDX without errors? Have you checked to make sure that your Mikrotik, cnMatrix switch, and radio are all in the same network/subnet? The cnMatrix switch and radios should be using your Mikrotik as a gateway/router. Also, do you have valid DNS setup on your devices? 

This really sounds like you have a networking IP misconfiguration or perhaps a port misconfiguration.

Okay....

1.When you check the physical port stats are you seeing that they're linking up at 1gbps FDX without errors?

Yes they are all at 1gbps FDX, no errors

2.  Have you checked to make sure that your Mikrotik, cnMatrix switch, and radio are all in the same network/subnet?

Yes, all in the same network/subnet

3. The cnMatrix switch and radios should be using your Mikrotik as a gateway/router. Also, do you have valid DNS setup on your devices? 

Yes to both

4.Also, do you have valid DNS setup on your devices? 

im pretty sure but will double check.

On my cnmatrix in my IP Route I have destination network = 0.0.0.0 and subnet mask = 0.0.0.0 pointed to my router ip as the gateway.  In my IPv4 Address Config on the cnmatrix for vlan 1 I have the Ip address assigned to the switch and subnet mask that is in the same network/subnet as the router and the ptp 550, hope that helps.

So you want to make sure that your IP route is the IP of your upstream Mikrotik and also make sure it's using the proper subnet mask. This is why your cnMatrix switch can't talk to the internet and can't access the cloud. In addition, if you're not using VLAN's, then you shouldn't have your mgmt IP address config bound to a VLAN... you should just have it bound to the primary eth0 interface of the cnMatrix switch. My guess is that you've somehow setup your switch for VLAN's and because your Mikrotik and radios aren't setup to break them out, that your traffic is going nowhere. I'm not an expert on network routing or cnMatrix configuration. At this point you're probably going to want to ask a question in the cnMatrix area of this forum or open a support ticket with Cambium to get help with your config.

1 Like

Okay, thank you for your help!  Just want to clarify that my cnMatrix is talking to the internet and its onboarded and working in cnMaestro.... its just the ptp550 that isnt showing up in Maestro after ive done the onboarding and cant get to the ptp 550 while connected to the cnMatrix with my laptop.  Your reples have been very helpful in diagnosing the problem and I really appreciate it! 

Hi, can you ping the 550s while plugged into various different points? When plugged directly into their ethernet? When plugged into the switch? When behind the MT box? I’m wondering when you lose access exactly?

If you can ping it, yet can’t login to manage it…there are no firewall rules on the MT or anything which would be blocking you, right?

Hi ninedd,

Thank you for your reply!  I will try your suggestion.  As far as the MT firewall, no it shouldnt be blocking anything, I have the IP/subnet allowed in the firewall rules but I will recheck.  

Hi ninedd

So I could not ping my ptp 550s via my switch, I have submitted a ticket to cambium support.  I have another question/troubleshoot.. my cnMatrix switches are all onboared onto Maestro showing up with the ip address that I assigned them in the ipv4 config in the switch for vlan 1.  Now I have epmp 3000 radios up and running and they will not populate onto maestro, they are all plugged into my switch which is fed dhcp via my router, I can ping them through the switch via maestro so im very confused why they will not onboard... I added the cambium url and inputted my cambium ID and on boarding key but they will not onboard in maestro.  Thanks!!