PTP 600 Interference Questions

I have 5 radios co-located on a hotel rooftop. 3 - PTP58600, 1-PTP58500, and 1-PTP58400. There are also 2 other 5.8 radios there as well. I am running into interference issues, and the radios are not performing optimally. All the links are short links <5km.

I have set asymetric dfs on all radios, and barred the channels that the other vendors radios are using.

The only radio that is at full speed is the PTP58400 radio. All the other radios are performing at probably 50-75% of the full capacity.

What does the setting color code do? Will that help with channel interference? Should I set one radio to each color?
Does it matter which radio side the master radio is on in areas with alot of 5.8? Should the masters all be on the tower, or doesn’t it matter?

I can probably change the channel width of some of the radios, but if I don’t have to then I would really like to leave them at the 30mhz channels to get more bandwidth out of the link.

Thanks
Tim

Hi Tim

The colour code helps when the radio is establishing a link with its slave - when there are multiple radios using the same frequency.

From the manual

The Tx Color Code and Rx Color Code attributes need only be
considered when the unit is installed in a dense network
of synchronized PTP 600 units and where some of the PTP 600
units are operating on the same frequency. In this case, the value
would normally be derived by a network radio planner. In all other
cases, it is strongly recommended that this attribute is left at the
default value of ‘A’.

If you are just using DFS then you don’t need to change the colour code.

The Master/Slave positioning will make no difference on the interference

What does it say on the status screen for “Recieve Modulation Mode Detail”?
- “Running at maximum recieve mode” - is the best case
- “Limited due to wireless conditions” - is normally due to the link conditions - length, obstructions etc
- “Limited by byte errors” - this is likely to be interference.

You mention that you are using 30MHz. One thing I would try is reducing the size of your channel. Although in perfect conditions this will reduce your max throughut, in poor conditions you may see that the achieveable throughput increases because the radio is able to find a slat with less interference, and then work better in it. I would try using 15MHz channels on your PTP600 radios.

Finally - are you using PTP-SYNC? You could SYNC your 3 PTP600 radios together, this would allow you to use the same frequency on them allowing more efficient use of the spectrum.

Regards
Julian