Grounding options when using longer Ethernet cable.
Issue reported: Whether the Ethernet cable has to be grounded when using the longer cables?
When installing the link, one must understand how many grounding kits are required for each drop cable.
The best option is to ground the cable every 30 meters.
Please consider the below scenarios as well to where the grounding to be done.
- The drop cable shield must be grounded near the ODU at the first point of contact between the drop cable and the mast, tower or building.
- The drop cable shield must be grounded at the building entry point.
For Master or Tower installations.
- The drop cable shield must be grounded at the bottom of the tower, near the vertical to horizontal transition point. This ground cable must be bonded to the tower or tower ground bus bar (TGB), if installed.
- If the tower is greater than 61 m (200 ft) in height, the drop cable shield must be grounded at the tower midpoint, and at additional points as necessary to reduce the distance between ground cables to 61 m (200 ft) or less.
- In high lightning-prone geographical areas, the drop cable shield must be grounded at spacing between 15 to 22 m (50 to 75 ft). This is especially important on towers taller than 45 m (150 ft).
For Roof Installation:
- The drop cable shield must be bonded to the building grounding system at its top entry point (usually on the roof).
- The drop cable shield must be bonded to the building grounding system at the entry point to the equipment room.
For Wall Installation