PTP 820C Multicore Dual Polarization Configuration - Waveguides

In the 820C Installation Guide the following 2 configurations are described (along with several others)

Configuration 1 Direct Mount
In config 1 two channels are established using the same frequency band.
One channel uses vertical polarization and one with horizontal polarization.
Co Channel Dual Polarization CCDP means you get to use the same frequency band twice, effectively doubling the bandwidth available for that frequency band.
A single (direct mount) antenna transmits and receives both channels and they are essentially transparent to each other. (For simplicity leave aside that they do in fact interfere with each other to some extent and XPIC is a feature that can help etc.)

Configuration 2 Remote Mount
In config 2 the setup is identical to that for Config 1 accept that we do not have a direct mount antenna.
We have waveguides to connect to the remote antenna which is not shown in the diagram.

Q1 Waveguides Why are there 2? Are we connecting to 2 remote antennae?
Q2 Waveguides vs Co-ax So far as I can tell waveguides do that same thing as co-ax cable just a better job. Is that accurate? Is that the only reason why waveguides are used not co-ax?

Thanks!!!

Please see below… Note that the OMT is always connected directly to the antenna.

Shaun, in your picture you posted from the installation guide, scenario 1 indicates a direct mount where the 820C/850C mounts directly to the dish via the OMT kit and scenario 2 is for a remote mount where waveguide are used to connect the 820C/850C to a dish that does not have a direct mount interface.

If you plan a link with LINKPlanner it will give you a full Bill of Materials. I’d recommend direct mount to minimize the number of parts and simplify the installation.

You can reach out to your sales team if you have any questions.

1 Like

Thank you for reply, it is appreciated.
Q1 Waveguides - Do the waveguides then make a connection as shown below (Red dotted lines)?
Once again my thanks

Hi Shaun, it will depend on the dish. My understanding is that a dual pol non direct mount dish would be installed according to your diagram where there would be two flextwist waveguides that connect the remote mount adaptor to the two antenna ports of the dish, but there are other situations that may be different. The installation guide here will cover those different scenarios.