ptp max speed full duplex on 20M channel?

I have short PtP path (about 55dB) on a 20M 5GHz channel, what's the max throughput full duplex I can get on this with epmp gear? I don't have more spectrum. I read 200Mbit somewhere, but wonder if that's a real number for this path?

@silverstr8p wrote:

I have short PtP path (about 55dB) on a 20M 5GHz channel, what's the max throughput full duplex I can get on this with epmp gear? I don't have more spectrum. I read 200Mbit somewhere, but wonder if that's a real number for this path?

Hi, 

The answer is: it depends. First of all, you cannot achieve 200 Mbps in a 20 MHz channel. You will need a 40 MHz channel. Second, the best way to predict the throughput you can achieve in any specific scenario is by plotting your exact deployment in LINKPlanner. LINKPlanner takes into account all the parameters such as Tx power, antenna gain, type of radio, distance, terrain etc. (some of which you input into it) and will predict the performance. 

Thanks,

Sriram

Okay. Is there any information available about the next gen PtP gear that's coming out's performance under the same conditions?

I'm not aware of any Cambium 5GHz radio that can do 200mbps FDX on a 20MHz channel width. In fact, I don't think it's really possible using any radio on the market today. Depending on the distance you need, you might be able to get close to 200mbps HDX on a very very clean 20MHz channel using PTP650. You'd need a radio capable of 20bps/hz and I don't know of any radio that can do that or that's coming out in the near future for unlicensed bands. Your modulation would have to be very high... higher then 256QAM, and the radio would have to have a lot of processing power... it would be a very expensive radio and on top of that, your SnR would have to be really high... like almost 40dBm... and this would also severely limit the distances you could achieve... basically, at this point your better off looking into a licensed link.

If you need 200mbps FDX, your best bet is to go licensed with an PTP820s. In addition, as Sri mentioned, you can use LinkPlanner to plug in various values and conditions to determine what (if any) radios from Cambium will support your goals.

2 Likes

I hate to break the rules here, but if it is a short path why not consider UBNT AF24?  Depending on rainfall in your region and path length it could fit the throughput part of the equation with much headroom to spare.

Yeah, we thought about that, but those are power pigs and one end would be a DC site, otherwise yeah. I think they draw like 50 Watts.