PTP450B Access to 5850-5895 Mhz in Canada?

Hello!

Wonderful news for us Canadian WISPs, as ISED has agreed to provide access to 45MHz of spectrum on a temporary, case-by-case basis in the 5.9GHz band (5850 to 5895MHz), for up to 90 days.

I have thought about adding a couple of PTP450b's as temporary BH's during the COVID stay-at-home period, and would love it if I had this spectrum to utilize (pending my licence approval).

Is there anything Cambium can do to allow for this to be accessible on 450b Radios?  I noticed all these channels are unavailable(greyed) to me, which I assume is region-specific.  Any information on this would be appreciated.

I'm sure some other WISPs may want to know this information as well...

We received our license and Cambium sent us firmware for ePMP3000 and PMP450. Unfortunately the firmware's aren't working when the regulatory domain is set to Canada on the AP's. They're going to have to revisit this and send us a new firmware I assume.

It would be better to put this in a ticket, they should be working on my request now.

Thanks Ryan!  I really appreciate that!

As soon as my licence comes through from ISED, I'll be sure to open a ticket with Cambium to get the ball rolling.

@Neil Capell wrote:

Hello!

Wonderful news for us Canadian WISPs, as ISED has agreed to provide access to 45MHz of spectrum on a temporary, case-by-case basis in the 5.9GHz band (5850 to 5895MHz), for up to 90 days.

I have thought about adding a couple of PTP450b's as temporary BH's during the COVID stay-at-home period, and would love it if I had this spectrum to utilize (pending my licence approval).

Is there anything Cambium can do to allow for this to be accessible on 450b Radios?  I noticed all these channels are unavailable(greyed) to me, which I assume is region-specific.  Any information on this would be appreciated.

I'm sure some other WISPs may want to know this information as well...

Neil,

We just discussed this at Cambium and we will me making a new build 16.1.1.1 STA-2 that will support these frequencies. You will need to contact support to register or something to get access to the download for the firmware. We estimate having it available no later than Thursday, hopefully sooner as we understand the rush.

Note, all 450 products will work up to 5895 MHz: 450, 450b, 450i and 450m.

I will post again here when it is available.

Enjoy your day,
Charlie

1 Like

@Charlie

can you please look at ticket 217100.

This is directly referencing this issue but the techs are not understanding the problem. Very frustrating.

@Ryan Ray wrote:

@Charlie

can you please look at ticket 217100.

This is directly referencing this issue but the techs are not understanding the problem. Very frustrating.

Ryan,
You were so quick to request it that I had not even finished the firmware yet, so the customer support team was not even aware it existed. So I apologize for that and just let them know now.

All customers in Canada,
If would like to receive access to this firmware, you can now contact support to receive a link to download 16.1.1.1 Build STA-2 that has support for FCC and Canada up to 5895 MHz. If you've already received a link, it is located in the same spot.

Enjoy your new frequencies,
Charlie

2 Likes

Apparently I was one of the first in Canada to be granted the license so I'm on the forefront here.

Sounds good, I will test out STA-2 on the 450 side.

Any idea when ePMP will be fixed? We have the same problem on that side too.

@Ryan Ray wrote:

Apparently I was one of the first in Canada to be granted the license so I'm on the forefront here.

Sounds good, I will test out STA-2 on the 450 side.

Any idea when ePMP will be fixed? We have the same problem on that side too.

Let me know if you have any issues with 450 frequecies.

Wrong forum for ePMP, I got no help for you there. :) 

1 Like

If anyone needs it, there is a 16.2.2 STA-1 build available. Please contact support for access to it.

Hello,
Sorry to dig up a dead-thread…

Recently ISED came to a decision on the usage of this bit of spectrum (5850-5895 MHz).

So I was wondering how one might be able use this spectrum in Canada now.
Bit of digging and I can see that it was available to the United States(FCC) region in a version of 20.3.1.1 available on a private google drive link, which would carry over to newer versions.
Can the same be said for a radio with it’s region code set to Canada? If so, I’d like to get access to some firmware that would allow me use this spectrum, and ideally still be able to upgrade to v22.

Thanks in advance.

The decision is great news… however, I am not sure it’s allowed just yet. I have sent inquiry to our regulatory engineers asking them to verify.

Based on Decision 4 (D4):

D4
ISED will allow all licence-exempt RLAN devices to have immediate access to the 5850-5895 MHz band for indoor and outdoor operations once appropriate technical standards are in place.

I don’t know if those technical standards are in place already or not…

Hi Matt,

I saw that too, and did find the language to slightly confusing and ambiguous.
But I thought perhaps I should ask anyway. Eager to hear what your regulatory engineers have to say, so thanks for looking into it.

Just checking to see if there is any change here Matt.

I’ve been lead to believe that I can use this spectrum in Canada now, so I’d love to know how I can do so with certain AP’s.

A partial answer was here for the ePMP 4525:

Not the most encouraging.