PTP550 link drops out for several seconds

New Link up for 2-3 weeks now. Using bonded 40mHz frequencies 5750 and 5825 Seem to be working fine passing our client traffic without delay with the exception of just stopping for a few seconds randomly. Folks that use real-time services like Zoom and VOIP have started complaining… Obviously, data interruptions of a few seconds are an issue we cannot tolerate…
Running firmware 4.5.6

Hello David,
can you share this signal status of your link?

How much capacity are you carrying on this link?

Sincerely yours,

Niragira Olympe

You can see a drop of several seconds around 7:02 on this graph.

Hello Mr. David,

do you maintain a constant ping between the two ends of the link at least to see if the radios maintain communication?
Try to know if the radio maintains communication while dropping traffic.
Let us know again the signal you have on your link.

Sincerely yours,

Niragira Olympe

Well, I see from the PTP550 Log that the radios are “disassociating” and “reassociating” frequently.

Hello Mr. David,

if so, I believe the channels used are not clean. Do you use a connectorized or integrated radios? Do you have other radios in 5 GHz on the same location/tower/rooftop? What is the link range?

Sincerely yours,

NIRAGIRA Olympe

We do not have other radios operating in the same two 40mHz wide spectrums. The path is about 1/2 mile. That is not to say there may be others we do not know about… How do we check?

A relatively simple thing you could try is to narrow your channels down to 20Mhz widths, and to see how that fares? From your graph above, you’re not carrying a whole lot of traffic, so going to 2 channels of 20Mhz widths should be ample to carry the traffic you currently have. If that changes things, that’ll be a clue if it’s interference or not, as the narrower channels may (or may not) avoid interference, if that’s the issue.

Of course - that’s suggestion is without knowing what your signal strengths, what the per-chain signals, and what your MONITOR->PERFORMANCE shows as far as MCS and retransmissions/errors. If you can take screen shots of your eAlign screen and your ‘performance’ screen, that may be helpful to tracking down the issue.

You also can run the SA on both sides of the link, and see what it finds. If you can let it run for a long time, in ‘detailed’ mode, then it might eventually be able to find something. If you can take screen shots and post them here, that might be helpful also.

1 Like

That all looks pretty decent. Signals are great and decently balanced too. What is your TX power on each side to achieve those -47 RSSIs? If anything, that ‘maybe’ could be a few db quieter, but I doubt your overdriving anything.

Looking at PERFORMANCE, I guess Radio 2 has a bit more retransmissions, maybe a channel change there? Or maybe try that radio in 20Mhz mode to see if that helps avoid whatever interference is on Radio2?

It’s also handy to see PERFORMANCE from both sides, since a radio that transmits a packet which get’s totally mangled and lost, the receiving side won’t necessarily know anything about those lost packets… only the TX side will. So, seeing PERFORMANCE from both sides of the link is handy.

1 Like

I have the same problem with a 60 km link and a 50mb traffic continually drops the link. Any solution

I see this thread died with no resolution - standard. I have dozens of screenshots of my ptp550’s doing the exact same thing. Sometimes it would take my network down altogether, The excuse that there is interference is not acceptable - any link with a decent signal should maintain. If there’s interference, MCS will drop - sure thats how it goes, but to say your link is dropping because your not using clean channels is rubbish. My solution to this is to run 4.6-rc29 and reboot both end every 24 hours. Even then it will sometimes go “bad” and you get huge packet loss. I’m going to try 4.6.0.1 tonight and will let you know if this changes anything. Two years of more Cambium problems that don’t get fixed. Yes I lodged tickets, no the issue was not fixed - I’ve bought radios to replace them btw as fed up.

I have given up on Cambium PTP550 and have purchased 2 Ubiquiti airMAX GigaBeam Long-Range 60/5 GHz Radios to cover the 1,000 foot link I need. Hope to have them up and working in two weeks.