QoS, DSCP, CoS and other shaping

I'm looking for some consensus on best practices for QoS settings on APs and SMs.  We want to give VOIP priority, followed by streaming video services.  I understand that SIP and ATC can be helped with DSCP 46. However, is there any way to give priority to Skype, Facetime, etc using this or is it just https TCP traffic that I can't prioritize without deep packet inspection?

Are there profiles to help prioritize streaming video or are those again burried in TCP traffic?  Do you prioritize your management VLANs?

Are WISPs adding any additional QoS classification rules to the tables on your APs or SMs?  

@Au Wireless wrote:

I'm looking for some consensus on best practices for QoS settings on APs and SMs.  We want to give VOIP priority, followed by streaming video services.  I understand that SIP and ATC can be helped with DSCP 46. However, is there any way to give priority to Skype, Facetime, etc using this or is it just https TCP traffic that I can't prioritize without deep packet inspection?

Are there profiles to help prioritize streaming video or are those again burried in TCP traffic?  Do you prioritize your management VLANs?

Are WISPs adding any additional QoS classification rules to the tables on your APs or SMs?  

you've asked a question that always ends up with a huge can of worms! 

there are a few ways to do what you ask, however most of its not done at the Edge access (AP) and CPE. 

the AP and the CPEs can't deep inspect or use specific websites to mark your DSCP points, you can mark VLANs. 

you would need a router capable of re-marking IPTOS or DSCP. this type of remarking is complicated and CPE intensives on routers. also your get into some sticky areas because you are technically altering customers traffic.

JunoOS can do as you ask, however the routers that can deep inspect and re-write your marks and do it without harming performance with you've got hundred of thousands of streams can get costs.  I'm not fimilar with everything out there router wise so i'm sure you can find cheaper solutions for this. 

as far as the AP side, your limited on your number of queues. the cambium gear supports 3, highest is voice, medium is high, and low is low. 

we personally only use DCSP 46 for our voice customers, if other voice services hit 46, we let it go. 

no DPI for the other services you mentioned, and no other marks.

we do sell priority access in rare occasions and limited amounts (VLAN is used here)  in the "high" catagory

2 Likes

From what I read, but didn't try it, Procera PaquetLogic is one of the most popular solution for WISP.

Since the ePMP do a faire sharing between user, your main concern should be backhaul. Anyway, it would cost too much to had a DPI device at each customer. By hadding a DPI box in each tower, you had QoS to backhaul and also to customer download since the DPI box would be hit before the customer is reach.

nDPI from ntop is use by Ubnt on the EdgeRouter. I'm not impressed by the result in finding kind of traffic but it could help a little. The EdgeRouter don't support offload for adding DSCP value to paquets. but you could use it on probably any *nix device powerful enough.

Mikrotik have a L7 functionnality that could maybe work better (didn't try it yet).
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/Firewall/L7