QoS settings at the AP

Quick question, what does the QoS settings at the AP actually do?

I've always left this as default, wide open.  Just came across an ap we've had complaints on to find that QoS had been configured at the AP (looks like to one of our basic packages).  So, waiting to hear results back from customers, and before I write the "who's the dummy that did this email" does setting MIR at the AP apply settings globally to an entire AP?  (ie., everyone shares a 1mbps download?) or does it override every SM's QoS settings (ie., "everyone" gets 1mbps instead of say, 2mbps)?

Thanks,

Steven

Edit for clarity:  This question is for PMP100, but could apply to 450 I guess as well.

Setting the QoS at the AP, only applies to the RF interface of the AP. It is not a global setting override for all SM's connected. That being said, as you've noticed, setting the QoS to the wrong values can constrict bandwidth to the connected SM's, and thus they would see issues.

3 Likes

That doesn't sound right.  If the AP is set to configure the SM settings, then the QOS settings on the AP are used for all of the connected SMs and take precedence over what the SMs are set to.  If the AP is set to have the SMs configure their own settings, then individual SM QOS settings are used and the AP settings are ignored.

Either way, it has no impact whatsoever on the AP side.

From the "Setting the Configure Source" section of the user guide:
"The AP includes a Configuration Source parameter, which sets where SMs that register to the AP are controlled for MIR, CIR, VLAN, and the high-priority channel as follows. The Configuration Source parameter affects the source of:
 all MIR settings:
o Sustained Uplink Data Rate
o Uplink Burst Allocation
o Max Burst Uplink Data Rate
o Sustained Downlink Data Rate
o Downlink Burst Allocation
o Max Burst Downlink Data Rate
 all CIR settings:
o Low Priority Uplink CIR
o Low Priority Downlink CIR
o Hi Priority Uplink CIR
o Hi Priority Downlink CIR
 all SM VLAN settings
o Dynamic Learning
o Allow Only Tagged Frames
o VLAN Aging Timeout
o Untagged Ingress VID
o Management VID
o VLAN Membership
 the Hi Priority Channel setting"

Ted Stewart wrote:

That doesn’t sound right.  If the AP is set to configure the SM settings, then the QOS settings on the AP are used for all of the connected SMs and take precedence over what the SMs are set to.  If the AP is set to have the SMs configure their own settings, then individual SM QOS settings are used and the AP settings are ignored. 

An SM can only have it’s QoS set three different ways, none of which involve the QoS page of the AP. I think if you start messing around with the QoS settings on the AP, you’ll find it does exactly what I mentioned above. Furthermore, if you look at the AP - QoS page, it specifically says that they are ‘AP Bandwidth settings’.

I recall doing a similar test myself, and finding it made no difference.  It's entirely possible I'm incorrect, though, so I'll have to repeat the test myself to be sure.

Cambium, can we get some official confirmation one way or the other?  Thanks!

Scroll down to the next page in the user guide to Tables 53 and 54.

Canopy v13 configuration sources.png

1 Like

I seen that table and I think it confused me at the time.  I think I get it now.  If the SM isn't going out to a BAM server or whatever to be authorized, but the AP thinks the source should be another server, the SM gets its settings from the AP.

So, unless that exact scenario is configured, the AP QOS page is superflous.  Be nice if it was at least greyed out when configuration source was something else so that it was a bit clearer.

That said, ye olde Canopy webgui could stand to have a re-organization anyway.  

Yes, to be honest, I didn't quite understand what that page did until I re-read the manual for this thread! I was also under the impression that it send the MIR, etc, for the AP itself. But such is not the case.

But the tab itself is not completely superfluous: The Broadcast Downlink CIR is used to set the CIR for common VC 255, regardless of how SMs are configured.