R201 As Router, E430 as a Wireless Mesh Unit, Possible?

Hello,

The deployment scenario we're looking as is an R201 working as the customers router with wan connected to internet. We'd like to use E430 as a mesh remote unit. The configs I'm seeing only support turning the R201 into a repeater off a EXXX series AP but not keeping the routing functionality of the R201 in that case. Using the R201 as the customers router is a required feature.

Can anyone think of a configuration that is reaonably supportable from cnMaestro for this to work? 

Tim

Hi Tim, 

I believe, your topology requirement is as  shown in screenshot attached 

We can achieve this using repeater mode . Also we do support "Route Mode"  on CnPilot R-Series routers  from 4.5 onwards .

Could you please send out a mail to Sandeshkumar.b@cambiumnetworks.com so that we can help you out for achieving your requirement through CnMaestro

Hello,

Negative. The r201 will be connected directly to the internet. The e430 needs to be a client off of the r201.

The r201 I’m 100% sure supports being a router in 4.5 as this is the normal role of any client router. A router is where a device provides NAT from internal ips (usually handed out via a built in dhcp server) and nat out and back in though a WAN network connection. This is the normal deployment of any consumer router and would be the standard base config of a stand alone r201.

Tim

Here is an example of our requested deployment. Cambium 450SM connects to WAN port of the R201 device. The E430 devices are wireless mesh devices off the Cambium R201. The cambium R201 is functioning as the router for the internal network and performing NAT out the WAN port of the R201. The cambium SM is set to bridge mode and will deliver a public IP to the WAN interface of the R201 via DHCP (existing infrastructure/already working). The part we don't have working is linking the E430 devices to the r201 while maintinaing routing and internal dhcp functionality for the home users network.

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the detailed explaination of the requirement. Linking E430 device to r201 is not possible via wireless mesh as of now. But I would say you can still achieve your reuirement by connecting one of the e430  to LAN of r201 . This particular e430 device(which is connected to LAN of r201) can be mesh base to all other e430 devices