Recovery of flash corrupted ePMP devices caused due to power interruption during a software upgrade

I have a force 180 that got bricked because of power lost during a firmware upgrade, I have tried the tfpd recovery but I seem to be getting something wrong, can someone please gimme a step by step direction on how to go about the recovery process ? I need to get the device back online asap.

regards 

@Tapiya wrote:

I have a force 180 that got bricked because of power lost during a firmware upgrade, I have tried the tfpd recovery but I seem to be getting something wrong, can someone please gimme a step by step direction on how to go about the recovery process ? I need to get the device back online asap.

regards 

Hi,

Please find link to step by step instruction below:

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/ePMP-Troubleshooting/Recovery-of-flash-corrupted-ePMP-devices-caused-due-to-power/td-p/54712

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi I’ve seen that link I tried working with it but it seems am missing something I need a step by step guide please

Thanks

Hi all, 

This is how far I have gone with this, I have downloaded the TFPD software, and ran it but I have issues with the settings I cannot set the IP address for the server and I do not see the Image on the list, so I think am doing something wrong, that is why am asking for someone to help me with steps apart from the one in the KB doc.

Please I need to do this ASAP.

Regards 

Hi,

Feel free to contact Cambium Support and ask for help with TFTP u-boot recovery.

https://www.cambiumnetworks.com/support/contact-support/

Thank you.

The suggested tftpd software uses windows network ip address. Set you pc to use a static address of 192.168.1.10/255.255.255.0
Do not set gateway or dns addresses.

Connect the pc to the radio directly through the poe unit. No other network devices.
Turn off all network firewall/antivirus software. Windows firewall, Norton, AVG, Kaspersky and Sophos all mess with the connection and the radio wont make the connection if they are running.
Then run the tftpd program and at the top is bith the home direcory and the currently selected ip(network adapter). Select the correct ip and set the home directory to wherever you put the extracted firmware.bin file. I use a folder on my desktop so I open the folder and copy the location address at the top then paste it in the home directory box.

Now plug-in/ power cycle the radio and wait. Can take 5 mins so go get a fresh coffee. The radio should be accessible by webpage now. Upgrade it now to the correct firmware. You must upgrade this radio regardless of the firmware.bin file used to boot the radio.

1 Like

Hi Douglass,

Thanks I will try this when we resume and revert.

Thanks again

Hello Douglas,

We have tried and tried this recovery method over and over without success. I have a few observations:

The article your referred us to with the initial procedure is dated 23rd May, 2016. It clearly states that only non-sync ePMP equipment with firmware Release Version 2.6.2 or newer will respond to this TFTP recovery method. In the interest of the customers, all equipment leaving Cambium warehouse should have shipped with this Release Version 2.6.2 or newer firmware.

We bought this Force 180 in December 2017, 19 to 20 months after this procedure's release and the default firmware on it was still Release Version 2.4.3-RC16. We confirmed this with another device from the same batch. Hence, we are stuck with a procedure that will not be able to resolve our issues.

Please, Cambium Support to kindly advise on how we should proceed now that this brandnew out of the box device is unusable. We will appreciate and refer back to the ticket we raised.

Thank you.

Regards.

HI
what about host ?
what i will write

Hi @samer_jouda,
you are showing tftp client page. But you have to set up tftp server with address 192.168.1.10 having firmware.bin file.

change your settings to tftp server, your computer must be set to manual ip address 192.168.1.10 with a subnet mask of 24 (255.255.255.0) and no gateway.

make sure your windows firewalls are off for this or it wont work

How can we do this? Is there a video for this process. I’m also finding it difficult to go past the stage.

use a windows computer with all firewalls turned off.
set your ethernet port address manually to 192.168.0.10 255.255.255.0
use tftpd in tftp server mode.
set the tftp folder at the top to the folder with your recovery firmware (this is as described in the recovery procedure document)

connect the power brick lan port to your computer through a dumb l2 switch (netgear 504 is good) then connect the radio to the power brick. as it powers on it will search for the recovery firmware.
Note:
windows networking is way to slow to have a direct connection without a dumb switch between to keep the port active. This is a must or the radio will not find the firmware and halt before windows brings up the port for data passing.

are there anybody who can help me through anydesk

This is not something that can be done through anydesk/teamveiwer/logmein.

Get a cheap l2 switch, download tftpd (google it), download a copy of the firmware and extract the recovery img. Set your network address to 192.168.0.10/24
Setup tftp server and point the directory to the folder with the recovery img. Plug in your computer to the switch and wait until the network becomes ready, then plug the switch into the poe brick and then power up the radio to be recovered.
The radio will automatically try to get the recovery img and run it.
Wait 5mins then try to open a web page to 192.168.0.2
If successful you will login using default admin/admin.
Factory reset the radio then flash the firmware like normal and reboot.