remote viewing of setup page

Wondering how one goes about being able to view the status screen one sees when doing the initial setup and alignment. From a support perspective it would be nice to be able to log onto a customers radio and see what the RSSI & Jitter is when providing support.
Thanks
Terry
Vanderhoof, B.C.

Terry, we have a computer that we remote into. This computer has our Monitoring Software on it and is also plugged into our 2950 switch that is connected to our network. We are using the 10.22.x.x addressing scheme.

Thanks for the info, what are you using for Monitoring software??

Terry

http://www.intermapper.com

Raredx,

I’m confused by the assuptions made in the discussion following your intial question.

Are you trying to access an SM’s web page remotely, i.e., from a PC on the Ethernet side of the AP? If you’ve assigned a unique IP address to every Canopy SM (APs also) and configured the SMs’ “Network Accessibility” on the “IP Configuration Page” to “Public” rather than “Local”, then you can browse directly to an individual SM. You can also access the SMs using the AP’s “LUID Select” page.

Or is the entire Canopy network remote from your management location? Do you not have access via an Ethernet cable to either the APs or a single SM? An alternative to a remote PC would be a single VPN tunnel for management access to the remote Canopy network. D-Link makes a cheap VPN router that can be used back-to-back; i.e., can be used as either VPN client or server.

Teknik

you said:
If you’ve assigned a unique IP address to every Canopy SM (APs also) and configured the SMs’ “Network Accessibility” on the “IP Configuration Page” to “Public” rather than “Local”, then you can browse directly to an individual SM.

So I took the time to go to a few customers and changed the setting from local to public but still don’t have much luck accessing them. We are assigning real IP’s to each SM. Not sure of where to go next…

Thanks for all the input
Terry

Does the PC you’re using also have a public (real) address, or is it behind a NAT router with a public address on its WAN port? What is both the physical path (wire, switches, routers, Canopy units, RF links) and logical path (IP addresses, masks, gateways, NAT settings) between your PC and a Canopy unit you’re trying to access?

NOTE: Motorola recommends assigning private IP addresses to the Canopy units. There’s a problem with the Canopy web interfacing locking up and becoming inaccesible when it receives too many hits. An interface with a public IP address is open to hits from outside sources, making lockup more likely.

Public IP’s on the SM’s are a problem. Within an hour the radio’s web interface will lock up and you will not be able to access it.

Here is how we do it (learned from others on this group)
WAN–>
Cisco3600 Router–>
Switch–>
Canopy BH20
Windows2003 Server with 2 NIC’s, one with a public IP and one with a Private IP 10.0.1.1, Subnet 255.255.0.0 (Class B Network for 65,536 IP addresses) acting as the gateway for the Canopy Radios.

Backhauls, BAM, etc get IP addresses such as 10.0.1.10, AP’s get an IP address such as 10.0.2.1 and then each SM under that AP gets an IP such as 10.0.2.2, 10.0.2.3, etc.

Then we log into the Exchange Server from our laptop (or any PC) using Remote Desktop and open a brower on the Exchange server. (you could probably do this with an XP machine, 2000 machine running VNC, or a Linux Box also). then you can type in the private IP address of the radio and it will come right up.

Radio configuration is
IP address 10.0.x.x
Subnet is 255.255.255.0
Gateway is 10.0.1.1

Customer Router gets a public IP address.

This works great!

Correction:

Radio configuration is
IP address 10.0.x.x
Subnet is 255.255.0.0 - NOT 255.255.255.0
Gateway is 10.0.1.1 (Exchange server or whatever you are using as the gateway)

Out setup is very similar to Mr. Richardson’s, but I use a VPN tunnel from where ever I am to get into our radios. Our internal office network sits behind a Canopy SM which is connected to E0 of a Cisco 1605R with a public IP address. The E1 interface has a private address and is the gateway for all of our office PC’s. I have a static route configured in the Cisco 1605R to route traffic with a destination IP address equal to that of our Canopy radios out the E0 interface.

One of the nodes on our office network is our Windows 2000 Server which is a VPN server. Using the integrated VPN client in Windows, I first connect to our VPN from where ever I am, then I run a C++ program that I wrote which gives me access to the Canopy radios.

The program pipes the output of ipconfig /all to a flat text file. I parse the text file and extract the IP address that I have been given by the VPN server pool, and use this IP address to update the routing table on my PC to direct all the radio-intended traffic to route through the VPN tunnel to the Cisco 1605R, which then has a route to the Canopy radio network.

Actually all I would have to do in the scenario is put a check in the box of the VPN client for “use default gateway on remote network” and it would have worked, but that takes all the fun out of writing the code.

This is what we do for remote viewing of the setup page. I got an apache server with 2 nics, an internal and eternal ip. And with apache setup usign the command:
"ProxyPass /10.10.0.10 http://10.10.0.10/"
I can acsess that page without playing with any kind of vpn, or vnc remote destop etc etc.