Router Options

Gents (and ladies if any),

Do you supply your customers with routers? If so, do you charge them or have a maintenance plan/deposit?

In your experience, which would you say are the best out there.

I have tried the following:

- linksys wrt54g work well, average mortality
- linksys befsr41 hang for no reason
- linksys wrt54g2 have just got these, 2 in the field, so far so good
- linksys rv042 very solid, customers complain about pricing
- netgear fvs114 need to be restarted often

Linksys WRT54GL

Decent hardware and still linux based.

keefe007 wrote:
Linksys WRT54GL

If you put the DD-WRT firmware on those units you'll probably never have a problem with them other than the hardware issues you might experience regardless of what's running under the hood.

I use one of these at home - I haven't had to reboot it in months, the last time being after a firmware upgrade.
wifiguy wrote:
[quote="keefe007":31ah3i7m]Linksys WRT54GL

If you put the DD-WRT firmware on those units you'll probably never have a problem with them other than the hardware issues you might experience regardless of what's running under the hood.

I use one of these at home - I haven't had to reboot it in months, the last time being after a firmware upgrade.[/quote:31ah3i7m]

I was doing that for a while and then realized it was turning into a headache. if a customer had a problem and they called linksys on their own, linksys was like "huh??? uhm, no"... This resulted in more trbl calls for us. Now I just leave OEM firmware on the routers. Quite frankly, I've tried to not sell customers lower-end routers. If they want a router or wifi, they need to go buy it from a local retailer. This really has saved our bacon on more than one instance.
amd phreak wrote:
[quote="wifiguy":3vi7rli3][quote="keefe007":3vi7rli3]Linksys WRT54GL

I use one of these at home - I haven't had to reboot it in months, the last time being after a firmware upgrade.[/quote:3vi7rli3]

I was doing that for a while and then realized it was turning into a headache. if a customer had a problem and they called linksys on their own, linksys was like "huh??? uhm, no"... This resulted in more trbl calls for us. Now I just leave OEM firmware on the routers. Quite frankly, I've tried to not sell customers lower-end routers. If they want a router or wifi, they need to go buy it from a local retailer. This really has saved our bacon on more than one instance.[/quote:3vi7rli3]

Yeah, I guess it would all depend on your support policy. If you are providing the customer the router then you should be supporting it for them too. If you are just selling it to the end user it's probably best to leave it OEM and let the manufacturer handle it.

lol do no put DD-WRT on your customer routers lol

you’re asking for trouble…

the WRT54G is the best for the money… we make the customer “pay” for it via a “standard setup fee” of $35 for a hardlined Dlink EBR2310 or $70 for a WRT54G(2)

the new WRT’s are not bad routers & they look super cool

stay away from belkin! avoid netgear in most cases. i dont even like the DLINK… but for the average home user checking their email you cant go wrong with it. the EBR2310 is alot better router then the previous model it replaced the DI-604.

GL

drdrew wrote:
lol do no put DD-WRT on your customer routers lol

you're asking for trouble...

the WRT54G is the best for the money.. we make the customer "pay" for it via a "standard setup fee" of $35 for a hardlined Dlink EBR2310 or $70 for a WRT54G(2)

the new WRT's are not bad routers & they look super cool

stay away from belkin! avoid netgear in most cases. i dont even like the DLINK.. but for the average home user checking their email you cant go wrong with it. the EBR2310 is alot better router then the previous model it replaced the DI-604.

GL

Again, if you're providing the router with the service (and not selling it for an additional fee), you support it, therefore I disagree on the WRT argument.

We sell Linksys WRT54G (and more recently the WRT54G2) as well as Netgear WGR614 wireless routers. We've had great success with both.

We had very bad luck with the d-link and belkin routers. We also had a handful of motorola routers that were absolute garbage as well. The only other brand I can recall working with was SMC, which I can't complain about because I've never received a complaint on those units.

We generally help the customer through most of the troubleshooting with these units and if it is found to be defective or hardware related we pass it off to the manufacturer.

the plain old WRT54G is getting the axe by linksys.
the replacement WRT54g has EXCELLENT range for an internal from what weve seen

VLAN1 wrote:
the plain old WRT54G is getting the axe by linksys.
the replacement WRT54g has EXCELLENT range for an internal from what weve seen

Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised with the results.

yup we’ve had good luck wit em too

I recommend the Linksys WRT54GL and tell them it’s the best router under $100. I tell them that IMO any router under 100 bucks is “consumer” and if they want a solid router, then the Linksys RV042 is the way to go.

We routinely recommend Linksys to our customers and refer them to local service outfits if they need help setting up a network. Great experienced with WRT54G line. About as far as we go with support on any router is, if the support rep can find the manual, they will help with basic internet setup and troubleshooting and no more.