Routing based QOS vs AP based QOS

Hi we're somewhat new to the PMP productline and are working on one of our first PMP450i (900mhz) deployment. Currently, our network supports DHCP based RADIUS MAC authentication which creates a dynamic QOS profile for the end-user's router.

I understand that a PMP450 AP supports a similar QOS mechanism, but I'd rather not have two QOS systems managing the data flow. I'd also like to keep things simple for the Tier1 support team so that we don't have to re-train on more systems than needed.

My question is, are we OK to continue with this circuit provisioning method, just using the radio layer as a dumb bridge pass-through OR, is there something on the packet scheduling layer in the AP that benefits from having all subscriber service levels defined in the AP. All services are residential, there's no CIR, the only variance is speed levels that they subscribe to. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes, the AP makes scheduling decisions based on the configured SM QoS (manual SM config, RADIUS profile, etc). That's all we use because that's where the contention is (AP). The Canopy scheduler is very efficient and I wouldn't do it any other way.

2 Likes