RV22 Meshing Configuation

Hello, I’m looking for some help with the RV22 Mesh system.

We bought two of the RV22 Mesh routers. I’ve been able to configure a main router, create a site, setup subscriber service and subscribers, assign the device to a subscriber, and get the Subscriber App running on my phone. I’ve even specialized our subscriber app to include our own branding and service hours, etc.

For the life of me, I can not add an extra node to this main one. From a full reset, its like the node I’m trying to add doesn’t even try to look for a main router to connect to. Does it need to set idle for a set amount of time? Do I need to log into the webui of the main one and add the MAC under Network Settings/Mesh Devices? Does the node need an internet connection and added to CNMaestro first to tell it to become a Mesh Node?

I apologize for the long winded question, but this is my issue with auto setup stuff. I have no idea what the node I’m trying to add is doing. Am I doing something wrong or is one of them just defective? I’m completely stuck. When the only help I can find on the matter is “power it on and it does it itself”, it leaves me in an aggravating loop of trying the same things over and over.

@Redyrok can you please share what software version is running on your two RV22 mesh APs?

I’m currently running 1.0.0-R3. I believe its the one that CNMaestro recommends, but I can’t remember for sure.

From a fresh factory reset, the node I’m trying to add to the main one doesn’t seem to blink like its looking for a main node to connect to. I’ve also tried just wiring it LAN from main to WAN of node. All that does is make a separate router behind the NAT of the main router.

If I understand correctly, the mesh node should alternate blink its LED to indicate its looking for a master to connect to. Does the mesh network have to be configured before configuring the main router to CNMaestro? I would think you could add a node anytime, but I’m looking for any possible thing I’m doing wrong.

I’ve tried it both ways. With the two RV22 we bought, I’ve tried each one as master and the other as mesh node.

One other thing of note, everything I’ve done so far including getting the subscriber ap working and branding, I’ve done on a regular CN Maestro account. Is CN Maestro X required for the meshing part of it?

I’ve submitted a request for an X trial. The email said 2-4 days I would hear back.

In my experience the mesh will automatically connect, as long as the 2nd unit is in maestro and accepted.

Mesh node seemed to take less than 10 minutes to be fully connected when I tried it. Both devices should be onboarded and assigned to the same Subscriber, and listed in Devices. Other than that, ours also have the same v1.0.0-R3.

2 Likes

Redyrok, I had some similar issues when testing the RV22 and mesh in my home. I think (but I don’t know) that the Node can get confused if it is moved around between different connected states. In my case, I did a factory reset (use a paperclip to press the reset button in the hole for about 10s) and it wiped the old configurations from the node and it connected.

Once I did that, I could not make it confused under normal home testing. I power cycled both APs, power cycled one at a time, and the mesh node came back each time. So I think the reset will work.

BTW, we have a beta release for wired Mesh support. Are you interested in trying it? I mentioned it on the webinar last week so if you are interested please let me know. I’ll check back on this forum to see if your current issue is resolved.

thank you

sorry, one more note. you do not have to request cnMaestro X. the device subscription is automatically enabled on all RV22s that are onboarded. you can onboard into the free cnMaestro or the cnMaestro subscription account. either one is fine, the RV22 will work.

After July 1 2024, we will require a device subscription. Here’s the good news: any RV22 you buy today will get three years subscription automatically. nothing you need to do.