schedule whitening

anyone have any comments on schedule whitening i am trying to eliminate some interferance and from what i am reading we should be enabling on all systems…

any comments…

schedule whitening won’t help you with interferece ; it’s purpose is to help prevent false DFS shutdowns - which as i understand is mostly appliciable in europe.

talked to moto tech support and they said is not applicable in 2.4 and 900 both we are using…

From what I understand the DFS is designed for the 5GHz models. In some countries it overlaps some military radar, and in others it’s the weather radar.

On our 5.4 AP’s I have applied Schedule Whitening on one AP that keeps changing channels. It seems to have had no effect.

You’re probably dealing with weather radar. Do you have any sense of a pattern to the changes? Maybe you could call whoever runs the nearest weather station and see if their timing matches your occurrences.

I don’t believe it is weather radar as we are in Canada and this band is notched out (5605-5655 MHz).

Strangely, the problem stopped a few days ago.

tooslow wrote:
anyone have any comments on schedule whitening i am trying to eliminate some interferance and from what i am reading we should be enabling on all systems..

Others have said basically this, but schedule whitening simply changes the format of a part of the Canopy frame such that it doesn't look quite so much like a radar signature as detected by DFS in 5.2 and 5.4. Evidentally in some circumstances a Canopy radio will cause other DFS radios (including other Canopy radios) in the band to believe they have detected radar and shut down. This prevents that.

My understanding that in 900 and 2.4 it doesn't really help much at all. I will say that turning it on by accident is a bad thing since SM's running earlier firmware will no longer associate.

-forrest