Selecting TX / RX freq over DSO for 100mbps on lite

I have got a LAN extension to do on unlicensed band and have been provided with 650 units  from the clients engineering company for install. They are preconfigured with IP addresses etc for easy plug and play install, but they are set on DSO, there is a small to medium amount of other equipment in the 5Ghz freq and I want to know if best that I select the freq or if I leave on DSO.

AS the site is remote, if someone makes any changes or installs new equipment to what is existing, they may end up sitting on or overlapping the freq I have choosen, so DSO might be the better option? 

Is  this common or is it more for ' simple', semi-lazy installs?>

Follow up question when selecting freq's I assume the Tx of the master must match the RX of the slave but what does the A/B colour band do? Anything that would need to be changed if I manually select freq over DSO?

Final question being it is a short 1km link - but they are not supplied with the Full spec/only lite 126mbps max.

To get the 100mbps it is on the full 45mhz, I would prefer it were on 20mhz or smaller, is this possible?

I am familiar with some competitors equipment but we have only installed Cambium supplied and preconfigured by others  hence the questions.

Hi Mike,

You have several different topics here. I'll try and take them one at a time.

Fixed frequency or DSO

If you are using this link in the Australia 5.8 GHz band, the rules do not require DFS (radar avoidance) so you have the choice of fixed frequency or Dynamic Spectrum Optimization (DSO). If the other links in the area are under your control then it might make sense to use fixed frequency. On the other hand, if you don't have any control the other links, these may change frequency without warning, so DSO should be more robust.

As this is a unlicensed band, nobody is telling you to use a specific channel.

There is a compromise approach you can take, which is to configure for DSO and then bar the channels that you don't want to use. In this case, if you leave a small number of channels unbarred you have some resilience and some control.

Don't forget that you can change the channel barring remotely, and a site visit is not needed unless you completely lose the ability to communicate with the remote unit.

Tx and Rx frequencies

As you suggest, in fixed frequency the Tx frequency for one end must match the Rx frequency for the other end.

Color code

The color code provides some performance improvement for co-channel operation in a TDD synchronized network. In every other case, the color code offers no benefit. However, it does not harm if you've selected a different code, providing the same setting is used at each end of the link.

Capacity license

There can often be a benefit in using a narrower channel for increased sensitivity, or to fit in a narrow gap in the interference spectrum.

The Lite capacity license provides a fixed percentage of the Full capacity considering the bandwidth and modulation mode in each case, so you will need to upgrade to the Full license if you want to get the maximum capacity in the narrower channel.

Mark

1 Like

yes, on the  lite version, you will need 45 Mhz of spectrum for 125Mbps.

PTP650 are only great with the full capacity license.

1 Like