Session Count on SM

We are in developement of an inexpensive solution to monitor/report stats, etc on Canopy networks, and are keeping things simple modifying a pretty simple monitoring program.

I am puzzled why there is not a session count OID for the SM’s, only at the AP. As we know, these can represent very differnt opinions of current conditions. Some of our AP’s have not been rebooted since we did 7.2.9 firmware updates. SM’s get done more often, especially when troublshooting a developing problem.

The first thing I ask my techs when they are dealing with a problem is, what is the SM’s session count. So, building a tool to monitor and spot problems that doesn’t have that that seems incomplete.

Does anybody have a workaround or suggestion?

Thanks!

Paul, PDMNET :roll:

Jave you ever used the sessin Count in the AP eval screen???

AP List
Current entry index: 1

Index: 0 Frequency: 5800.0 MHz ESN: 0a-00-3e-f0-90-6f
Jitter: 5 RSSI: 856 Power Level: -83 Beacon Count: 5 BRcvW: 1
Type: Multipoint Avail: 1 Age: 0 Lockout: 0 RegFail 0 Range: 0 feet TxBER: 0 EBcast: 0
Session Count: 0 NoLUIDS: 0 OutOfRange: 0 AuthFail: 0 EncryptFail: 0 Rescan Req: 0
FrameNumber: 334 SectorID: 3 Color Code: 3 BeaconVersion: 1 SectorUserCount: 6
PercentDataDwn: 50 PercentDataUpHi: 0 NumDAckSlots: 3 NumContSlots: 3 NumUAckSlots: 3

Index: 1 Frequency: 5800.0 MHz ESN: 0a-00-3e-f0-90-df
Jitter: 2 RSSI: 1482 Power Level: -65 Beacon Count: 2 BRcvW: 1
Type: Multipoint Avail: 1 Age: 0 Lockout: 0 RegFail 4 Range: 7693 feet TxBER: 0 EBcast: 0
Session Count: 11 NoLUIDS: 0 OutOfRange: 0 AuthFail: 0 EncryptFail: 0 Rescan Req: 0
FrameNumber: 1021 SectorID: 6 Color Code: 6 BeaconVersion: 1 SectorUserCount: 0
PercentDataDwn: 50 PercentDataUpHi: 0 NumDAckSlots: 3 NumContSlots: 3 NumUAckSlots: 3

I would love to use the Session Count that is displayed on the AP eval data of the SM we are monitoiring.

However, that appears to not be available through SNMP hooks from Motorola, for some strange reason. As important as a variable that is to very connection"health" we would have expected that to be there.
Anyone else find a way to work around this?

You can get this information from AP.
AP MIB provides you with whispLinkTable (OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.161.19.3.1.4) that contains different counters for each SM connected to it (including sessionCount - OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.161.19.3.1.4.1.29).

Sincerely,
NetMechanica.
http://www.netmechanica.com

Yes, I know I can get the info from the AP. There are three reasons why that doesn’t work for us.

1) that is AP’s opinion of an SM’s session counts. That can be very differnt than the SM’s opinion. An AP that has not been rebooted in 30 days maybe have 25 session counts for a customer (or perhaps many more). The SM may have had 20 of those in the last 24 hours and have a problem that needs attended to. Also, if the SM has been associated with several AP’s it doesnt represent the current status.

2) The program I am using is very simple on purpose. I don’t want to have it get snmp responses from the AP to have it get other responses from the SM’s. Basically, it has to hit the SM to get certain values no matter what, so why not get the value I actually want from one place and not a guestimate.

I believe the SM Session count is one of the most significant values to know if you have a problem radio that needs attention.

Paul