Session Count / Reg Count

I have a Backhaul and some SM’s that are acting funny. I was wondering if someone could explain Session Count and Reg Count to me. Here is a sample of a link. Thanks for any help provided.

Session Count: 97, Reg Count 126, Re-Reg Count 2

This is the number of times they quit talking to each other.

Could be caused by outside or self interference or not tuned properly.

You just need to run some test and deside which it is

Buck,

Session Count = Number of sessions the unit has had with the AP or BHM
Reg Count = Number registration ‘requests’ the AP or BHM has received from the SM or BHS
Re-Reg Count = Number of times the AP or BHM has received a request to register from the SM / BHS " when the AP / BHM thought it was already registered".

The “Reg-Count / Re-reg” isn’t really “number of times REGISTERED” it is the number of times the AP/BHM received a request to register from the SM / BHS.

Session Count would be a better gage of the number of times Registration was successful.

I think that if your Reg Count is higher than your Session Count then:

Reg Count (126) - Session Count (97) = 29 failed reg requests from the SM or BH.

Actually you should probably ad Re-Reg (2) to the Reg Count in this case so the number of times the SM or BHS requested registration is 128 and 97 of those times it was successful while 31 of those times it failed.

I have a SM that shows Sessions 17 , Reg Count 14 and Re-Reg 3 .

In this case the AP received a registration request from the SM 17 times , it also received a registration request from the SM 3 times when the AP thought it was already registered (re-reg). Since my Session Count (17) = Reg Count (14) + Re-Reg (3) I can see all the regestration requests the AP received resulted in a session.

I would think Session Count will always have to be equal to or less than the total of Reg Count + Re-Reg .

Something that may not be relevant to your numbers. The numbers for the SM I used in the example above are the result of when the SM was being set up / aligned . They have not changed after the install was completed.

So, if your numbers are not the result of when the unit(s) was being set up / aligned, then here is what the number say:

126 times the AP or BHM received a request to register from the unit after the AP or BHM had lost the unit and dropped the session.
2 times the AP received a request to register from the unit when the AP thought it still had a connection with the unit.

Out of the 126 times the unit requested to register it was only successful 97 times.

Short answer. If those numbers are not old “left over from when the unit was set up / aligned” then something is causing the units to drop connections. How often that is happening , using those numbers, would depend on how old the session stats are. If the AP / BHM have not been rebooted in a long time ( I don’t know any other way to clear/reset the session status) then that cold be 126 sessions over the last year or 126 sessions over the last hour.

BUCK wrote:
I have a Backhaul and some SM’s that are acting funny. I was wondering if someone could explain Session Count and Reg Count to me. Here is a sample of a link. Thanks for any help provided.

Session Count: 97, Reg Count 126, Re-Reg Count 2

Instead of editing and rewriting what I wrote I want to correct something. I may have wrote " X number of times the SM sent a request to register" and since I got " X " from the AP’s session status it implies that the Session Status on the AP never missed a request the SM sent.

A SM could very well have sent 10,000 requests but the session status page on the AP only shows 100 Reg Count because the AP only seen 100 of those 10,000 requests.

The way I wrote it above a couple of times. I think could imply that the numbers in the Session Status are the “last word in what the SM sent” and it isn’t. You would have to compare what the AP says to what the SM says to get an idea of what is really going on.